Re: Digest bread-bakers.v098.n054

"Mega-bytes" <mega-bytes@email.msn.com>
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 08:34:55 -0400
v098.n055.8
>From: "Grace Carruthers" <Gcarruthers@conestogac.on.ca>
>Subject: chiabatta and potato bread request
>Hi Everyone!
>
>I'm looking for recipes for CHIABATTA BREAD and POTATO BREAD (or
>rolls.

>Grace

Grace,

Here's some for you.

Martha

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                                 CIABATTA

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Breads

                        -----FIRST STEP-----
  12       oz           Flour
     1/4   ts           Yeast, dry
   7       fl            -- Water, warm
                        Olive oil
                        -----SECOND STEP-----
     1/2   pt            -- Water, warm
   1       tb           Olive oil
   5       tb           Milk, warm
   1 1/4   lb           Flour
   1       t            Yeast, dry
   1       tb           Salt
                        Cornmeal to dust

  Add yeast to sifted flour and slowly mix in the water.
  Beat for five minutes. Place in a bowl and brush with
  olive oil. Cover and leave to rise in a warm place
  until tripled in size (5-24 hours). Now chill.

  Stir the warm water, milk and olive oil into the
  chilled mixture. Slowly add this mixture to the 1 1/4
  lb of flour, adding the yeast and salt.

  Using either a food processor or those at the end of
  your wrists, form into a dough and then knead on a
  floured surface until springy . Put dough in an oiled
  bowl, cover and leave to rise until doubled in size.

  Divide into four and stretch dough into rectangles,
  pressing flat with your knuckles. Cover with a damp
  cloth and leave in a warm place for 2 hours. Pre-heat
  oven to 450 F.  Heat baking sheets in oven. Dust
  baking sheets with cornmeal and place dough on top.

  Bake for 25 minutes, sprinkling with water three times
  during the first 10 minutes.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                               Potato Bread

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Breads

   1                    Potato, peeled, cubed
   2 1/2   c            Water
   3       tb           Yeast
   4       tb           Maple syrup, warm

  1       T butter, melted 6 c whole wheat pastry flour 2 T butter, softened
  1/2     c Monterey Jack cheese,
          grated In a sauce pan, boil potato in water for 10 minutes; mash
  potato in water. In a bowl, combine yeast and maple syrup, making sure
  syrup is warmed to body temperature. With a wooden spoon stir butter into
  potato mixture; add 1/2 of flour to yeast mixture. Turn resulting dough
  onto lightly floured surface and knead, incorporating rest of flour. Put
  dough in a lightly oiled bowl; turn to make sure top is oiled too. Cover
  with towel and let rise 1 hour. Punch down, and knead 10 times. Separate
  and shape into loaves; place in lightly oiled 9" x 5" loaf pans. Split
tops
  with sharp knife and insert butter and Jack cheese. Place loaves in cold
  oven.  Turn heat to 350 degrees and bake for 20 to 30 minutes; loaves will
  continue to rise as they bake. Bread is done if it sounds hollow when
  tapped with a knuckle.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                            Potato White Bread

Recipe By     : Maggie Baylis & Coralie Castle
Categories    : Breads/Potato

  13      ounces        baking potatoes
   3      tablespoons   brown sugar -- firmly packed
   1      tablespoon    yeast
   4 1/2  cups          unbleached white flour or as needed
   3      tablespoons   butter -- melted and cooled
   2      teaspoons     salt

                        Makes two medium loaves.

Scrub potatoes, slice and boil in water to cover until soft.  Place the
potatoes and cooking water in blender container and add water to bring
measure to 3 cups; puree and transfer to large bowl.  Stir in brown sugar
and cool to lukewarm.  Sprinkle yeast over, stir to dissolve and let rest at
room temperature 45 minutes.  Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the flour and beat
vigorously about 3 minutes until air bubbles form.  Stir in butter and salt,
beat well and gradually add 1 - 1/2 cups of the remaining flour.  Let rest
at room temperature 45 minutes.  Mound remaining flour on board, turn dough
out and, using a steel baker's scraper, knead in the flour until dough is
stiff enough to knead by hand.  Adding additional flour as needed to prevent
sticking, knead 3 to 5 minutes.  Dough will be soft and slightly sticky.
Divide into 2 equal portions, knead briefly, form into 2 loaves and place in
2 oiled loaf pans.  Cover with tea towel and let rise in a warm place 45
minutes or until almost double in size.  Place in oven, turn heat to 350
degrees F and bake 45 minutes or until bread tests done.  Turn out onto wire
rack, turn right side up and cool.

>From: Sally Eisenberg <sparky@netgate.net>

NOTES : Yet another one that is worth trying.  This recipe, I believe is one
of the best I have ever made.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                         Buttermilk Potato Bread

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Breads/Abm: Potato

     2/3  cup           buttermilk
     1/3  cup           instant potato flakes or buds
   1                    egg
   1      tablespoon    butter/margarine -- cut up
     3/4  teaspoon      salt
   2      cups          bread flour
     1/2  teaspoon      dried thyme leaves
   1      teaspoon      yeast

Measure all ingredients into bread machine pan in order suggested by
manufacturer, add potato flakes w/ liquid ingredients.  Process on
BASIC-WHITE bread cycle, use medium/normal crust setting.  DO NOT USE
delayed-bake feature.

Per slice: 168 cal, 4 gr fat, 25 mg cholesterole, 274 mg sodium

NOTE: Check dough after 5 min of mixing, it should form a soft, smooth ball
around the blade.  If dough is too stiff or dry, add additional LIQUID, 1
TSP at a time, until dough is of right consistency.  If dough is too soft or
sticky, add additional FLOUR, 1 TSP at a time.

busted by Donna

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                    Sour Cream 'n' Chive Potato Bread

Recipe By     : Fleischmann's Bread Website
Categories    : Breads/Abm: Potato

                        ***1 1/2 POUND LOAF***
                        ***POTATO MIXTURE***
     3/4  cup           water
     1/2  cup           chopped peeled potato
     1/3  cup           dairy sour cream
                        ***OR LOW-FAT YOGURT***
                        ***OR MILK TO EQUAL 1 1/3 CUP***
                        ***DOUGH***
   1      tablespoon    butter or margarine
   1      teaspoon      salt
   3 1/2  cups          bread flour
   4      teaspoons     spice islands snipped chives
   1      tablespoon    sugar
   1 1/2  teaspoons     fleischmann's bread machine yeast

To save time, use potato flakes or buds instead of fresh potato to make the
potato mixture.  Place 1/3 cup for a 1 1/2-pound loaf instant mashed potato
flakes or buds into a 2-cup measure.  Then add 1/3 cup sour cream and enough
water to equal 1 1/3 cups.

Potato Mixture: In a small saucepan, combine water and potato.  Bring to
boiling; reduce heat.  Cook, covered, 8 to 9 minutes or until potato is very
tender.  Do not drain; cool.  Mash potato in the water.  Measure potato
mixture.  Add sour cream and enough milk to make 1 1/3 cups.

Dough: Add potato mixture and dough ingredients to bread machine pan in the
order suggested by manufacturer, treating potato mixture as a liquid.

Recommended cycle: Basic/white bread cycle; medium/normal color setting.

Nutrition information per serving (1/12 of 1 1/2-lb.  recipe): calories 176;
total fat 3 g; saturated fat 2 g; cholesterol 5 mg; sodium 211 mg; total
carbohydrate 31 g; dietary fiber 1 g; protein 5 g.

busted by Donna

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                            Quick Potato Bread

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Breads/Abm: Potato

   1 1/3  cups          water
   3      tablespoons   butter or margarine
   2 1/2  tablespoons   sugar
   1      teaspoon      salt
     1/4  cup           potato flakes
   3 1/2  cups          bread flour