master mix recipe

Joan Ross <rosskat@pipeline.com>
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 09:01:45 -0400 (EDT)
v098.n035.16
Here is a master mix I have had since 1959.I have posted a variety of
recipes ( cake, bread, muffins etc. )  also using the mix on my
culinary/question resource page if you wish to peruse my site.
http://www.pipeline.com/~rosskat/

MASTER MIX

9 cups sifted all purpose flour or 10 cups sifted pastry flour
1 Tbs. salt
1/3 cup double acting baking powder
2 cups non refrigerated shortening ( ie. solid white veg. kind like Crisco )

Stir together dry ingredients and sift 3 times. Cut in shortening to a
cornmeal crumb mixture. Store tightly covered at room temperature. If stored
in glass jars, keep in a dark place. To measure, spoon lightly into a
measure cup, level off with knife and use as desired. Do not pack in cup
when measuring! Makes about 13 cups! You can use the mix to make almost any
baking recipe you wish!
I like this because it is simple, inexpensive and makes great baked
products!I have even made changes to this mix for buttermilk baking which
you can find on my culinary resource page.

 This mix  also makes wonderful bluberry muffins, which  you can find a
photo and mix recipe on my muffin primer under my culinary lessons.

Enjoy!

Joan Ross
Visit The Ross Family Homepage: personal and culinary topics
http://www.pipeline.com/~rosskat/