Re: Digest bread-bakers.v098.n030

Gloriamarie Amalfitano <gma@adnc.com>
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 17:52:47 -0700
v098.n034.2
>Gloriamarie, I'm with you on this one!  But... there is one bread
>machine book I count as indispensible... its "Bread Machine Magic Book
>of Helpful Hints", by Linda Rehberg and Lois Conway.  I did not buy it
>for the recipes, but for the wealth of knowledge shared on adapting your
>own recipes, and ingredient substitution choices (very in depth - from
>sweeteners, liquids, fats, grains, and more), trouble shooting, etc!  (I
>even think Lois is on this Bread digest.)  It's almost like going to
>bread-machine college!  Anyway, if you get a chance the next time you're
>at a book store, be sure to pick this one up and at least thumb through
>it to see if it would suit your needs.

YES YES YES!!  Thank you, Darby...this is th book review I remembered.
Sorry, Myron, I am sure your recommendation of electric bread book for men,
or real men bake bread or whatever it is called is an excellent book, but
since I don't have exterior plumbing, I think I'll have a look at Darby's
recommmendation.  I called my local Bookstar and they have it on hold for
me.

I am so enjoying my bread maker.  I used to make bread by hand and I was
pretty goshdarned good at it but then I moved into a series of apartments
with electric ovens and for some reason, my bread was never ever successful
again.  But thanks to Costco for having a Zojirushi for just under $70 ( a
price I can justify as I can make it cost-effective within a few months,
but not when I only saw them at $150 and I couldn't make that cost
effective for well over a year) and thanks to this list with all of the
wonderful recipes, I am enjoying my bread again and enjoying making it and
just enjoying it.  Did I say I was enjoying it?

About the pancake discussion....one of my many cooking titles bestowed upon
me bu my guests over the years is The Lazy Cook (others are The Opinionated
Chef, Doyenne of Beanery and Empress of Garlic (my personal favorite).).
One of the things the Lazy Cook hates is all that a-pourin' and a flippin',
a-flippin' and a-pouring of pancakes, although I adore good whole grain
pancakes.

So what the Lazy Cook does is to mix up a batch supposedly of about 25
pancakes and I bake them in the oven in a jellyroll pan at 350 for about
1/2 hour....I am not a very precise cook so please don't rely on my
approximation...please double check!!!  I let it cool, then i cut it up
into a bunch of pieces (however many the batch was for) and then i freeze
them.  To eat a pancake or two, i pop them into the toaster oven and toast
or i microwave them and I enjoy delicious homemade pancakes without all
that a-pourin' and a flippin', a-flippin' and a-pouring.

--
Gloriamarie, writing to you from San Diego, celebrating the Return of
Perfect Weather.  Come and enjoy it with me!!

"The moral is, build up that stash. You never know when you're
going to need to knit a scarf for the Dalai Lama." Jean Miles, Edinburgh
mailto:gma@adnc.com