Re: Homemade Bisquick Equivalent

Ruth Provance <rprovanc@gmu.edu>
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 17:42:51 -0700
v098.n033.10
To the person who wants to make a Bisquick-type mix at home, this comes
from my favorite cookbook, one that I recommend everyone buy.  I get it
for wedding gifts all the time.  It also has pancake mix and pancake
syrup recipes, which my husband uses all the time, and a coating mix for
oven-fried chicken that uses up all those wonderful breadcrumbs we
bakers tend to produce.  The stuff is known commercially as
"Shake-n-Bake."  The cookbook also has several recipes to use this mix.
I have never made this mix, but trust the cookbook.

Master Baking Mix

Makes 8 or 4 lbs.

8 lbs.				4 lbs.

Sift together 3 times:

5 lbs. flour			10 c. flour
3/4 c. baking powder		6 T. baking powder
3 T. salt			1 1/2 t. salt
1 T. cream of tartar		1 1/2 t. cream of tartar
1/2 c. sugar			1/4 c. sugar

Cut in to consistency of cornmeal:

2 lbs. shortening		2 c. shortening

Stir in:

4 c. dry milk powder		2 c. dry milk powder

Store in covered container at room temperature.  To
measure baking mix, pile lightly into a cup and level
off with spatula.

1.  Replace 1/3 of the white flour with whole wheat
flour.

2.  Add 2 c. untoasted wheat germ to large recipe,
1 c. to small recipe.

3.  Replace 3 c. flour in large recipe or 1 1/2 c.
flour in small recipe with soy flour.

4.  Dry milk powder in the mix is optional, but
assures higher protein products.

>From More-with-Less Cookbook, by Doris Janzen
Longacre, Published by Herald Prss, Scottdale, Penn.,
and Kitchener, Ontario.  Copyright 1976.  Suggestions
by Mennonites on how to eat better and consume less of
the world's limited food resources.  Commissioned by
Mennonite Central Committee, Akron, Pennsylvania, in
response to world food needs.

Keep Baking Bread!

Christ is Risen Indeed! \o/

Ruth