adding yeast (or not!) to pre-packaged mixes

Darlene Jones <djones@moscow.com>
Sun, 05 Apr 1998 13:05:00 -0700
v098.n030.6
Ruth and others on the lists:

I hope I am not seeming to be antagonistic, but I guess I must be *missing
something here* and I want to understand the principle behind this dictum!!

If you add the yeast to the DRY mix in the bag and then freeze it, and when
ready to make bread, you add the bag's mix to the bread machine and THEN ADD
THE LIQUID -- they are separate the entire time!!!!!

What am i missing here that is not made clear to me about why you *should
not* add yeast to the pre-measured mix???  Do the mixes in the box come with
yeast added or do you add it from your own stash, or is it in a separate
package inside the box?????????

darlene

> I make my own mixes with any recipe I like. I just DON'T PUT YEAST IN,
> no matter what you read in list. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ABOUT ABM
> BAKING IS: KEEP YEAST AND LIQUIDS SEPARATE TIL KNEAD TIME!!!

> add
> yeast when your machine instructions say.

~!~ ~!~ ~!~ ~!~ ~!~
mailto:djones@moscow.com
mailto:jone9538@uidaho.edu
Darlene Jones
University of Idaho
Moscow, ID  83843
http://www.uidaho.edu/~jone9538

Everywhere I go, I'm asked if I think the universities
stifle writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle
enough of them. There's many a best seller that could
have been prevented by a good teacher.
    Flannery O'Connor