Low-fat Powdered Buttermilk

BreadMagician@prodigy.com ( LINDA REHBERG)
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:44:06, -0500
v098.n029.17
To: Vicki

You wrote:  <<<Some recipes I've seen call for buttermilk.  I've been
looking for the powdered variety.  Anyone know if this works in
recipes calling for buttermilk?  If so, anybody have a clue as to
where to find it.  I live in Colorado.  Have checked the major
supermarket chains here but to no avail.>>>

Yes, the powdered buttermilk works just fine as a replacement for
fresh buttermilk.  Simply add water in place of the fresh buttermilk
then add about 4 or 5 tablespoons buttermilk powder along with your
dry ingredients.

Saco is the most common brand of buttermilk powder.  You should be
able to find it in grocery stores along with the powdered milk.  If
not, try a health food store.  If you still can't locate it, you can
call Saco directly at 1-800-373-SACO.

Good luck!

Linda Rehberg
www.breadmachinemagic.com