Machine thrown to the floor and dented!

"Josée Olivier" <jolivier@autoroute.net>
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 19:16:31 +0000
v098.n027.12
I recently attempted to make an ABM recipe for French bread in my
Toastmaster 1186 machine.  Upon checking the consistency of the dough
and hearing the machine make straining sounds, I added 1T full of
water (or maybe a bit more, I forget now), as is my habit in this
type of situation.  I also can't remeber whether this was the first
or second knead, although I think it was the seond..  Adding the
water  seemed to help so I went off to do other things.  Next thing I
know, I'm lying on the bed breastfeeding the baby and I hear the
machine straining again, and getting progressively louder.  Since I
was unwilling to disturb the baby, and believing I had added enough
water and that the kneading cycle would stop any minute anyway, I let
it continue.  All of a sudden, I heard a tremendous noise, which was
the sound of the machine (and the bowl it took with it) crashing to
the floor.

One side of the machine was dented, which means that the cover on one
side no longer aligns properly.  Although I can shut the cover
completely, I suspect that some heat will still escape from the
misaligned side.  The loaf I attepted to complete by restarting the
machine was not a success (didn't rise properly).  I'm scared to make
another loaf to test it out, although at least the kneading doesn't
seem impaired.

I know the warranty will not cover this type of damage and am
unwilling to ship it all the way back to the manufacturer, not
knowing whether they even repair this type of damage (the plastic
moulding around the top is also all broken).  Does anyone have any
suggestions?  Thanks in advance!
Josee Olivier
jolivier@autoroute.net