Re: bread recipes for diabetes?

"Robin Carroll-Mann" <harper@idt.net>
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 00:34:40 +0000
v098.n020.16
And it came to pass on  2 Mar 98, that MOMnAaron@aol.com:

> I am hoping you can help me with a problem.  I know of a lady who is
> looking for bread recipes that can be adapted for diabetes.  She can
> not use honey, sugar or molasses.  Any ideas on what she can sub for
> the sugars?

Penny,

Has you friend been told by her doctor that she can't have sugar?
Because the current mainstream opinion is that diabetics can include
sugar in their diet, so long as they don't overdo it.  And most
bread recipes call for only a small quantity of sugar -- usually
about a tablespoon or two per two-loaf recipe.  I am diabetic, and
have not stopped putting sugar in my bread, though I now avoid the
sweet bread recipes.  In any case, I don't see why your friend can't
just omit the sugar if she wishes.  As far as I know, the dough will
rise more slowly, because the main function of sugar in a bread
recipe is to feed the yeast.  If she wants a sweet taste in her
bread, there are certain artificial sweeteners that can be used for
baking, but I don't think they will help encourage the yeast.

Best wishes,
Harper

Harper *** Robin Carroll-Mann
harper @ idt.net