Re: Digest bread-bakers.v098.n019

Fred Smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 19:36:51 -0500
v098.n020.8

> From: "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9e_Olivier?=" <jolivier@autoroute.net>
> Subject: "Blistered" bread
> Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 16:50:43 +0000
>
> Hello all,
>
> I've noticed a problem with the whole wheat bread that I
> regulary make.  It rises and bakes beautifully, up until the
> last half hour of the cycle or so, at which point big air pockets or
> "blisters" develop and the top loses its perfectly rounded shape.
> The top is not totally collapsed, however, just a little dented.
> Anyone know what could be causing this? Thanks!
> Josee Olivier
> jolivier@autoroute.net

By their nature, whole wheat breads do not form as all-encompassing
'network' of gluten strands as do white breads. This has to do with:

-the bran particles interfere with its formation;
-the somewhat lower overall percentage of gluten in the flour BECAUSE
 of the bran and other wheat grain particles in the flour (which are
 removed when white flour is manufactured).

Because of this, whole wheat breads are somewhat more fragile.

So, reasons why your loaf may be trying to fall, or rather things that
you can try which may help:
-perhaps you are expecting it to rise nice and high like a white bread,
 and therefore letting it proof too long. Because of the weaker gluten
 structure of the loaf the bubbles will burst sooner, reducing the rise
 or at least preventing it from rising as high.
-you may be able to shop around and find a whole wheat flour with a
 higher gluten content than what you are using;
-perhaps adding some additional gluten to the dough will help;
-or diluting the whole wheat a bit with some high-gluten white bread flour.
-or even just kneading several minutes longer before setting the loaves
 to proof. I find that with bread doughs that don't want to proof well
 an extra five (or sometimes even more) minutes of working the dough can
 often help.

Fred
--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------