additions

Ruth Warren <herblady@netnitco.net>
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 07:38:28 -0600
v098.n015.10
In Vol 98 #4, Bill Hatcher gave some dill bread recipes. I've tried them
all thru the years. Best is from Electric Bread, almost a tie is from
Rehberg and Conway's Bread Machine Magic.

About knives. Husband makes beautiful,even slices with electric knife. I
don't want to be bothered. I use a knife I got a few years ago at the
county fair from a pitchman. Similar to the gingko knives on tv.
Serrated. I had gotten "such a deal" and had one in reserve for gift
giving. I use that exclusively for bread. It has worked well for 5
years.

I only add vital gluten when using mostly whole wheat bread.

As for fat substitutes, it depends on kind of bread I'm making. I use
unsweetened applesauce with whole grains. With something like Bread
Machine Magic's Sweet White or their new Sweet Wheat, I use orange juice
concentrate. I keep a small opened can in door of freezer to use. I also
add lecithin granules to help preserve bread. Can substitute this for
about half of the fat. So for Sweet Wheat I use oj concentrate and
lecithin granules in place of butter. You can get the lecithin at health
food stores. I see where Betty Crocker has a prune substitute for baking
in the baking section of supermarket. haven't tried it yet.