Ascorbic Acid

Karen Wheless <kwheless@rockland.net>
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 21:13:29 -0500
v098.n015.9
>While I have you handy:  I ordered some ascorbic acid from King Arthur.
>Two ounces of the stuff is a tiny amount.  Does anyone know of a source
>of ascorbic acid that comes in bigger packages?  I checked a GNC store,
>and they have ascorbic acid with rose hips.

You can just buy Vitamin C tablets, and crush them up.  They do have some
inert ingredients in them (mostly starch), but not much, and they work
fine.  (You can get the "natural" kind, but the other ingredients in the
cheaper brands are harmless.)  I buy a huge bottle at Costco, and each
tablet has 1000 mg of ascorbic acid, I'm not sure how that compares to the
pure stuff from King Arthur.  I've had good luck using it, I made a
wonderful loaf crushing up two tablets in a 2 lb recipe.

Karen

Karen Wheless
		 kwheless@rockland.net
     Wear the old coat and buy the new book.