ABM recipes

"Christopher E. Eaves" <cea260@airmail.net>
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 14:25:46 -0600
v098.n008.1
Here are some recipes I posted to another list that Reggie asked me to
post to this list. I hope everyone enjoys them.

Chris

In this post:
Calzone
Italian Garlic/Pepper Bread
Picante Bread
Shaker Herb Bread
Stuffing Bread
Sweet Potato Pecan Bread
& for those who love chili peppers & think eating bread can't be painful
:
Red Savina Bread

                    *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                                 Calzone

Recipe By     : Donna German
Categories    :
   1 1/3  cups          water
   2      tablespoons   olive oil
     2/3  teaspoon      salt
     1/2  teaspoon      oregano
   4      cups          bread flour
   2 1/2  teaspoons     active dry yeast
                        ***SPINACH FILLING***
  10 1/2  ounces        frozen chopped spinach
                        garlic powder -- to taste
   2      tablespoons   olive oil
   1      cup           provolone cheese -- grated
   1      cup           mozzarella cheese -- grated

Remove dough from machine and roll it into circles of approximately 8
inches. Spread filling on one half of the circle leaving a border around
it for closing. Close the  calzone by folding the unfilled side on top
of the filled side and crimping the edges closed with your fingers or a
fork. Place on a lightly greased baking pan. Let rise approx. 30
minutes. Brush lightly with olive oil and bake at 500 degrees for 20-30
minutes or until puffed and golden. (I bake them at 485 degrees for 15
minutes in my oven.) The original recipe says to put 1 1/2 to 2
tablespoons each or ricotta and grated mozzarella cheese in each
calzone. >> My favorite filling is the following......

SPINACH FILLING : Saute thawed spinach in olive oil and garlic powder
until all water has evaporated. (I squeeze out excess liquid first) Mix
cheeses into spinach. You may substitute frozen chopped broccoli for
spinach.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : I LOVE these!!! I serve them with a spaghetti sauce that has
sausage, peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc. and they are GREAT! Hope you
enjoy them! I used to eat them at the mall and wish I knew how to make
them! Let us know what you think! This recipe that we use is found in
Donna German's book II.

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                       Italian Garlic/Pepper Bread

Recipe By     : Mike McGee
Categories    :
   1 1/3  cups          water
   1 1/4  teaspoons     salt
   1      teaspoon      sugar
   3      cups          bread flour
   2 1/2  teaspoons     active dry yeast
     1/2  teaspoon      garlic powder -- (or to taste)
     1/2  teaspoon      very coarsely ground pepper -- (or to taste)
     1/2  cup           parmesan cheese -- up to 1 cup
                        cut in 1/2 inch squares.

Add the final three ingredients ans late as possible in the final
kneading stage.  The bread is better if the islands of cheese are
identifiable and if the pepper does not get GROUND into the dough by the
kneading process.

NOTES :  I enjoyed this bread at an Italian restaurant, so I tried to
match it as close as I could.  Used the basic recipe from Italian bread
in "The Bread Machine Cookbook" (#1) and add the garlic and pepper. Good
luck.  Hope this works out for you.  Please let me know of your
improvements on this very basic recipe. Mike McGee in Palatine, IL
Formatted by Elaine Radis BGMB90B; April '93

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : NOTES :  I enjoyed this bread at an Italian restaurant, so I
tried to match it as close as I could.  Used the basic recipe from
Italian bread in "The Bread Machine Cookbook" (#1) and add the garlic
and pepper. Good luck.  Hope this works out for you.  Please let me know
of your improvements on this very basic recipe. Mike McGee in Palatine,
IL Formatted by Elaine Radis BGMB90B; April '93

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                              Picante Bread

Recipe By     : Sharon Sanford
Categories    :
   1 1/4  cups          pace picante sauce
   2      cups          bread flour -- * see note
     1/2  cup           cornmeal
   1 1/2  teaspoons     active dry yeast

Place ingredients in breadmaker per machine's instructions.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : NOTES : Try this if you like spicy taste, almost no fat and no
cholesterol. I use Pace medium picante, it's GREAT! Susan Sanford
Posted on Bread & Pizza, 2/16/93. Formatted for MM by Joyce Burton,
PDPP83A.
*Gold Medal Better for Bread Flour "Light Wheat" Works great in this
recipe.

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                            Shaker Herb Bread

Recipe By     : The Ultimate Bread Machine Cookbook
Categories    :
   2 1/4  teaspoons     yeast
   3      cups          bread flour
     3/4  teaspoon      celery seed
     3/4  teaspoon      caraway seed
     3/4  teaspoon      ground sage
     3/4  teaspoon      ground nutmeg
   1 1/2  teaspoons     salt
   1      tablespoon    sugar
   4      tablespoons   powdered milk
   1      tablespoon    butter or margarine
   1      cup           water
   1      large         egg
   1      teaspoon      lemon juice

Place all ingredients in machine and push start! Do not use timer.

Yield: 1 loaf

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : From THE ULTIMATE BREAD MACHINE COOKBOOK by Lacalamita Posted on
NVN #133986 by Laguda on 06/11/94, MM format

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                              Stuffing Bread

Recipe By     : More Recipes For Your Bread Machine Bakery by R. W.
Langer
Categories    :
   1      small         loaf
   1      cup           vegetable broth -- or water
   2      teaspoons     olive oil
   1      teaspoon      unsulfured molasses
   2      cups          all-purpose flour -- unbleached
     1/2  cup           uncooked oatmeal -- not instant
     1/2  cup           cornmeal
   2      tablespoons   parsley -- dehydrated
   1      tablespoon    onion flakes -- dehydrated
   1      teaspoon      rosemary -- crumbled
   1      teaspoon      rubbed sage
     1/2  teaspoon      thyme -- crumbled
     1/2  teaspoon      pepper
     1/4  teaspoon      garlic powder -- or
   1      clove         garlic -- minced
   1      tablespoon    vital wheat gluten
     1/2  teaspoon      salt -- to 1 1/2 tsp.
   1 1/2  teaspoons     active dry yeast
   1      large         loaf
   1 1/2  cups          vegetable broth -- or water
   1      tablespoon    olive oil
   2      teaspoons     unsulphured molasses
   3      cups          all-purpose flour -- unbleached
     3/4  cup           uncooked oatmeal -- not instant
     3/4  cup           cornmeal
   3      tablespoons   parsley -- dehydrated
   4      teaspoons     onion flakes -- dehydrated
   1 1/2  teaspoons     rosemary -- crumbled
   1 1/2  teaspoons     rubbed sage
   1      teaspoon      thyme -- crumbled
   1      teaspoon      pepper
     1/2  teaspoon      garlic powder -- or
   2      cloves        garlic -- minced
   1      tablespoon    vital wheat gluten
   1      teaspoon      salt -- to 2 tsp.
   2      teaspoons     active dry yeast

Pour the water or broth into your machine's baking pan & add the oil &
molasses, unless the instructions that came with your machine call for
placing the yeast in the bottom of the pan & reserving the liquids for
last,adding them after the dry ingredients. Measure in the flour,
oatmeal, cornmeal,parsley, onion, rosemary, sage, thyme,pepper, garlic,
salt, & yeast. If your machine has a separate yeast compartment, spoon
the yeast in there. Don't let the yeast come in contact with liquids or
salt. Use the rapid bake cycle for this loaf.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Chris' Notes: Great bread to use for making stuffing or
excellent sliced to make a turkey sandwich!
MC formatted by Christopher E. Eaves<cea260@airmail.net>

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                         Sweet Potato Pecan Bread

Recipe By     : The Ultimate Bread Machine Cookbook
Categories    :
   2 1/4  teaspoons     active dry yeast
   3      cups          bread flour
   4      tablespoons   rolled oats
     1/2  teaspoon      cinnamon
   2      pinches       nutmeg
   1 1/2  teaspoons     salt
   2      tablespoons   brown sugar -- dark
   3      tablespoons   powdered milk
   3      tablespoons   butter or margarine
     3/4  cup           sweet potatoes -- mashed, cooked
     3/4  cup           water
   3      tablespoons   raisins -- dark
     1/3  cup           pecans -- chopped

Place all ingredients in machine and push start! Use raisin bread cycle,
adding fruit and nuts at beep.

Yield: 1 loaf

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : From THE ULTIMATE BREAD MACHINE COOKBOOK by Lacalamita Posted on
NVN #133986 by Laguda on 06/11/94, MM format

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                             Red Savina Bread

Recipe By     : Jim Campbell Mild to Wild Pepper & Herb Co.
Categories    :
   1 1/2  cups          whole wheat flour
   1 1/2  cups          white flour
     1/2  cup           V-8® vegetable juice
     1/2  cup           water -- * see note
   1      teaspoon      salt
   1 1/2  tablespoons   dry milk powder
   1 1/2  tablespoons   brown sugar
   1      tablespoon    sorghum -- or honey
   1 1/2  teaspoons     bread machine yeast -- or
   2      teaspoons     active dry yeast
   2      tablespoons   butter
   2      ounces        ground dried Red Savina Habanero powder

Heat liquid ingredients to about 100 F.  Pour into cannister.  Put in
dry ingredients, yeast last.  Set machine to desired finish.  Done.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Jim's Notes:(all wheat flour may be used, but not all white- the
Savina (tm) seems to go good with wheat breads while white has too
little flavor for it IMHO) I'll leave it to individuals to try and
figure out how to adapt this to their own style of breadmaking.  Like I
said, this is for one of those auto bread machines simply becuase I
don't know how to bake bread otherwise.  If it ain't easy, I ain't got
time to do it.  I'm sure there are lots of different herb combinations
that could be used as well.  Hope you all have fun with this!
Jim Campbell, Mild to Wild Pepper & Herb Co.

Chris's Note:*I sometimes use low sodium vegetable or chicken broth in
place of the water.