Proof Box

Jay Hosler <jhosler@cisco.com>
Sun, 4 Jan 1998 09:48:48 -0800 (PST)
v098.n001.17
Betty -

To make a VERY simple proof box, start with large-size styrofoam cooler.  Throw
away the lid.  Mount a light fixture in the bottom.  Now, just add a 25 watt
bulb, invert the box, and you have an instant proof box.  If it doesn't get hot
enough inside (85F is what you want), switch to a 40w bulb.  If it gets too
hot, raise one end of the cooler with a book.  For this device we are all
indebted to Ed Wood's excellent book.

After using a proof box like the above quite a lot, I became fustrated because
the temp inside depends on room temp, and so it requires monitoring.  So I went
one step further.  I bought a very large picnic cooler with a hinged lid.  I
mounted a light fixture and a thermostat in the lid.  Now I have a box whose
temp will stay near 85F year-round.  You need a "Line voltage thermostat",
available in good hardware stores.  These directly switch the 110 volt power
from the wall.  They are intended for use, for example, in controlling radiant
floors.

Jay