Dough Enhancer with Ginger

"Jazzbel" <jazzbel@grouper.batelnet.bs>
Sun, 4 Jan 1998 10:45:15 -0500
v098.n001.7
Here I go answering my own question.  I posted this recipe for bread
enhancer, with a question before,
I found out about how the ginger makes bread rise more.
The cornstarch is simply a medium to keep the mixture from caking.
The recipe follows:

The ginger answer comes from "The Effect of Spices on Yeast Fermentation".
Cereal Chemistry. Vol 31(March 1954) Wilma j. Wright, C.W. Bice and J.M.
Fogelberg, pp.100-112.

grams of spice with 2 grams sugar and 1 gram yeast in 30 ml water: 0.1
result: ml of gas increase or decrease in 3 hours: +87

grams of spice with 2 grams sugar and 1 gram yeast in 30 ml water: 0.75
result: ml of gas increase or decrease in 3 hours: +172

grams of spice with 2 grams sugar and 1 gram yeast in 30 ml water: 1.0
result: ml of gas increase or decrease in 3 hours: +136

grams of spice with 2 grams sugar and 1 gram yeast in 30 ml water: 2.0
result: ml of gas increase or decrease in 3 hours: +72.

So, yes, ginger in small amounts enhances bread, too much does not help
though.
> > Here is the recipe for Bread Enhancer--
> > 4 cups powdered milk
> > 3/4 cup Lecithin Granules
> > 3 heaping Tbls. vitamin C powder
> > 2 Tbls. ginger
> > 3 Tbls. cornstarch
> > Blend until smooth.
> > Store in airtight containers. Room Temp.
> > Use 2 teas. enhancer in each loaf of dough.
> >
> > The purpose is to make the dough rise better and bake better.
> > This recipe is from "Dinner's in the Freezer"  by Jill Bond.
> > I have not tried it yet.
> > diana in Illinois

Later,
Jazzbel

"I will not dwell upon ragouts or roasts,
Albeit all human history attests
That happiness for man- the hungry sinner!-
Since Eve ate apples, much depends on dinner"
--Lord Byron's Don Juan