Yeast: Bulk yeast - easy to use & lots cheaper

Raphael Ryan <raphaelr@ix.netcom.com>
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 19:01:01 -0600
v097.n078.12
Chet wrote:

...At a local warehouse operations (Sam's Club) they have a larger
quantity of
yeast (1 pound???) for $2.99.  The package says that, once opened, it
must be
used within 2 weeks...

~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been buying my granulated yeast in bulk for 30 years, and from
Sam's Club for the last several years. Here is the way I handle it: Open
the large bag and put it into several smaller glass jars with tight
lids. Freeze it. Keep the jars frozen, taking the current one out of the
freezer only long enough to measure out the quantity needed.The yeast
will keep in the freezer for a couple of years if in a glass jar with a
tight lid.

My large loaf takes one rounded teaspoon of yeast but you'll have to
adjust the quantity to suit the loaf you're making.

Raphael