request for fav. abm recipes

KCooper984@aol.com
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 08:03:31 -0500 (EST)
v097.n076.8
Hi!

I just got a bread machine and I would love it if you could send me your
favorite recipes.

I'm sending an old family favorite that my grandmother used to make at Easter
and Christmas time or any old time if she felt like it. It is so good! I'd
love to be able to mix in my bread maker. Any hints? Would I be able to cut
it in half to do that? What would the proportions be? Thanks for your help!

Sue

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                                 Vanocka

Recipe By     : Matilda Phillips
Categories    : Breads

   1      cup           margarine
  11      cups          flour
   2      cups          milk
     2/3  cup           sugar
   2      teaspoons     salt
     1/2  cup           warm water (NOT hot)
   2      packages      yeast
   4      whole         eggs ,beaten
   1      cup           yellow raisins
     1/2  cup           chopped almonds, blanched & chopped
   2      tsp.          grated lemon rind
     1/2  tsp.          mace
   2      whole         egg yolks
     1/4  cup           water

In large bowl cut margarine into flour until mixture resembles coare meal.
Set aside.

Scald milk; stir in sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm.  Measure warm (not hot)
water into large warm bowl. Sprinkle or crumble yeast; stir until dissolved.
Stir in lukewarm milk mixture, eggs, raisins, almonds, lemon peel, mace and
half the flour mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour mixture to
make soft dough. Turn onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth and
elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top.
Cover; let rise in warm place free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about
an hour.

Punch down dough. Turn onto lightly floured board. Divide into 4 equal
pieces. Set 2 aside. Divide one piece into 4 equal strips, 15 inches long.
Place the 4 strips on a large greased baking sheet; form into a braid. Divide
the second piece into 5 equal parts. Form 3 pieces into a second braid and
place on top of first. With remaining pieces of dough make a third braid and
place on top of second braid. Form a second loaf using rest of dough. Cover;
let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled, about an hour. Beat
egg yolks and water together until blended and brush loaves. Bake in moderate
oven (350) or until done.