Sally Lunn

ptj <gypsy-witch@rocketmail.com>
Sun, 2 Nov 1997 09:28:49 -0800 (PST)
v097.n068.20
A couple of years ago I posted a plea for help making Sally Lunn the
way my husband remembers his mother making it. (And you were all VERY
good about avoiding the Freudian references.....<grin>) I had been
trying in my bread machine, and it was my kitchen was turning into a
disaster movie set.

I took the advice of several people on this list who told me to leave
the machine out of it, and I adapted a couple of different recipes for
the altitude. (This is an important consideration; I live just outside
of Denver with an altitude of approximately 5280 feet. That's why I've
included such things as vital wheat gluten and sifting the flour.)
Here is the recipe I eventually succeeded with:

SALLY LUNN (1 loaf)

1 pkg. dry yeast
1/4 C lukewarm water
1 tsp. sugar
1 stick butter
3 TB oil
1 C milk
4 C white flour, preferably unbleached
1 TB vital wheat gluten
1/3 C sugar
2 tsp. salt
4 eggs (egg replacement liquid just doesn't work as well)
1/2 stick butter, melted (do NOT substitute margarine)

Dissolve yeast in warm water; add sugar and set aside. Warm butter,
oil and milk just until all is melted, then let stand until lukewarm.
Sift together flour, sugar, and salt. Beat eggs thoroughly and combine
with milk and yeast mixture. Beat well. Add flour and beat well. Place
a wooden spoon in the dough, cover bowl lightly with a towel, and
place in warm, draft-free place to rise. Every 20 minutes, beat dough
down, re-cover, and allow to rise again. Do this for at least 3 hours.
(Really, you have to do this or it won't have the proper texture.)
After the last beating, put dough in a well-greased bundt or tube pan,
cover with towel, and let rise for about 1 & 1/2 hours. Preheat oven
to 325°F. Bake for 45-60 minutes, basting with melted butter during
last 10 minutes of baking. It is done when it is golden in color.

We had to beat my husband off with a stick. (Okay, a wooden spoon) so
that the rest of us could get a slice of this.

I thought I had posted this when I first made it, but a quick attempt
to locate it on the B-B Digest archive came up empty. (Is there a way
to search the archive that I have yet to discover?) If this is a
repeat, I hope someone new can get some use out of this recipe. If it
isn't, I really recommend this bread/cake/whatever as a weekend
afternoon snack with coffee....heck, I recommend it for anytime!

Bright blessings

phyllis

===
Visit Hearthstone Community Church on the Web at
www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/4213