German Kugan

Dennis Foulk <dfoulk@surfsouth.com>
Sun, 26 Oct 1997 22:06:41 -0500 (EST)
v097.n066.14
Hi Melissa,
My husband's great-grandparents were German immigrants.  He has very fond
memories of being with his grandmother when she made bread. Several times a
month she would bake 12-15 loaves.  This would be their family's bread
supply for a week or two.  With any leftover dough, she made a coffee cake
very similar to what you described.  She used plain white bread dough (she
always used water that potatoes were cooked in for the liquid), spread it in
a 9" pie pan (greased, I'm sure),let it rise until doubled, sprinkled it
with cinnamon sugar and dotted it with butter.  Then baked it like she would
a loaf of bread.  Most likely at 350 degrees until it was browned (I would
guess 15-30 min.) I know this is kind of sketchy, but I hope it helps.  I
think a recipe for white bread that you would make in a bread machine would
be enough for at least 2 and you could use cake pans instead of pie plates.
I'm sure you could put the butter and cinnamon sugar on after it cooked
(right out of the oven).  When you put it on before you bake it, it
penetrates the dough and makes sugar-filled ruts in the top.  Very yummy!!!
Your request brought back very happy memories for my husband and me.  I'm
not sure, but I think kucken is German for cake.

All the best to you,
Sharon Foulk