Drying Starter:

Albert A Taber <altaber@sprintmail.com>
Sun, 26 Oct 1997 08:04:31 +0000
v097.n066.5
From: DebHSN@aol.com
Subject: traveling with my sourdough
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 07:41:30 -0400 (EDT)

I have an excellent sourdough starter that I have been feeding and using
for
about 9 years.  It has developed to a great flavor.  In January I will
be
moving out of the country, and I would like to take a small amount of
this
starter with me.  We will be travelling for about a month before
settling
into our new home.

Any advice on how to  take a small bit of this starter with me so that I
can
keep it alive?

Thanks for your help,      Deb

Deb:

I recently answered an offer on the Bread Bakers Digest for some dreid
starter from a gentlemen who claims he has the starter his family
brought to the west coast  last century.  I received some dried starter
from him and instructions for drying same.  Hav e not tried to
reconstitute the dried starter yet b uy you have reminded me to do so.
His instructions for drying it are as follows:

Cover a dish or pan with plastic wrap or waxed paper to prevent
sticking.  After you have fed your starter and let it get activ e, pour
some onto  the covered dish.  The theicker the layer the longer it will
take to dry.  I use a broiler pan and pour it 1/4 inch deep as I use a
lot of it.  It takes nearly a week to harden.

Set aside at room temperature until it gets brittle - may be a few
days.  Break into small pieces and grind in a blender, coffee grinder or
food processor.  There you are.  It will keep a long time.  The yeast
has sporated and will stay that way for years.  At one time it was used
to chink the walls of cabins an d some of that stuff has been
reactivated.

The gentleman did not put his name or address on the information he
mailed me with some of his dried starter.  He may answer you on the
Digest.  He is 77 years old.

I suggest you dry some of your starter and they reconstitute it and see
if it is OK.

His instructions for reactivation are as follows:

Dissolve the contents of the package he sent (about 1 heaping
tablespoon) in 3/4 cup warm water (90 degrees) , add 3/4 cup white bread
flour and 1 teaspoon sugar in glass or plastic container (NOT METAL).

Place the bowl (covered with damp towel) in warm place (the oven with
the light on is about 85 degrees, but test it first) for up to 48
hours.  It will get bubbly from the fermentation.  IT'S ALIVE!!

Mix one cup warm (95) water, add 1 cup flour, l tablespoon dried
potatoes or use potato water and let set in the warm place till bubbly
again.    Don't worry about the lumps as the fermentation will take care
of them.

Now you can store it in the frig till needed.  It may develope a clear
liquid on top, if so stir it back in as this is the alcohol, keep it
happy.   It will need feeding about every couple of weeks, just add one
cup warm skim milk or water, 1 T sugar and 1 cup flour.  Once in a while
add 1 tablespoon of dried potatoes or use potato water.  If it looks
sick add 1 T Cider vinegar to give it a kick in the behind.   Give the
excess to a friend or you can keep some of it in the freezer for
serveral monthsl between feedings.

When you want to bake something bring the starter up to room
temperature, mix in 1 cup flour, 1 cup warm water or skim milk and let
set overnight to ferment.    The next morning, remove one cup to keep in
a covered jar as a starter for use next time, feed it, then do your
baking.

If you dry  your starter I would appreciate receiving some of it.

Al Taber
Rt. 3, Box 272AA
Warsaw, MO 65355