re: corn bread with creamed corn

Jay Ekers <jekers@magna.com.au>
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 23:39:34 +1000
v097.n065.10
Laurie wrote:
>My grandmother use to make a moist corn bread made with creamed corn as
>well as corn meal.  My family has not found a written record of the
>recipe, nor can remember the recipe themselves.

Perhaps it was like this bread which is delicious if you like chile!
(If not to your tast, try omitting it or replacing it with shredded zucchini).

The recipe was developed by the New Mexico State University, from their
Cooperative Extension Service Circular 396, entitled: Chile
and printed in The Best of New Mexico Kitchens, published in 1978 by
New Mexico Magazine.

New Mexico  Spoon Bread

(American measures   1 cup = 8 fluid ounces)

1 #300 can cream-style corn   (about 2 cups)
3/4  cup milk
1/3  cup melted shortening
1.5 cups cornmeal
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
1  4-ounce can chopped green chile
1.5  cups grated cheddar cheese

Mix all ingredients except chile and cheese.
Pour half the batter into a greased 9 x 9 inch pan.
Sprinkle with half the cheese and chile.
Add remaining  batter and top with the remaining cheese and chile.
Bake at 400 degrees F for 45 minutes

Jay