Re: Digest bread-bakers.v097.n048

Mary Panza <mpanza@luminous.com>
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 07:39:49 -0700
v097.n049.15
At 02:08 PM 7/27/97 -0700, Zelia Naman wrote:

>--------------- MESSAGE bread-bakers.v097.n048.8 ---------------
>
>From: Zelia Naman <znaman@naman.com>
>Subject: Portuguese Sweet Bread
>Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 19:47:36 -0500
>
>Does anyone have a bread machine recipe for Portuguese Sweet Bread?  It is
>denser than Hawaiian Sweet Bread and has a wonderful butter flavor.  My mom
>and aunt often used potatoes in their recipes. I have fond memories of
>hearing my mom get up at 3:00 in the morning to punch down the dough so it
>would be ready for baking later in the morning.  Today, in my own  home,
>the closest thing to this memory might be hearing the bread machine humming.

I absolutely love the Portuguese Easter Bread from Donna German's "The
Bread Machine Cookbook II." It might be close to the recipe you seek. A
1lb. loaf rises very well and almost fills my 2lb pan.

Here's the recipe for a 1lb. loaf.

1/2 c. milk
1 egg
1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. bread flour *
1 tsp. yeast

* Depending on the size of the egg and the humidity, you might need to add
more flour. I usually end up adding another 1/4 c.

-Mary
Mary Panza, mpanza@luminous.com
Color Central Program Manager
Luminous Technology Corporation, an Imation company