Re: Bread Dough Enhancer

"Caron Rose"<crose@sbd.com>
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 07:05:05 -0400
v097.n047.5
>From: Debbie Hrabinski <piggie@worldnet.att.net>
>Subject: Bread Dough Enhancer
>Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 22:47:45 -0400
>Hi everyone,
>I was thumbing thru the Bakers Catalog when I came across
>Bread Dough Enhancer.  I had a couple questions re: this stuff.
>Has anyone used it?  And how do u like it?

I don't have their regulare bread enhancer, but I have their italian bread
improver, and I love it.  Since I began using it about 6 months ago, my
italian bread turns out much better.  The inside is slightly denser, with a
chewier texture, and the crust is not thick and tough anymore.  It's
thinner and has a good crunch/crisp to it.  Oh yes, and it stays fresh a
good two or three days longer!

I can't remember where I got the recipe, but it follows.  I use Fleischmans
(sp?)Instant yeast, which I get by the 1 lb bulk pack at BJ's.  You could
try regular, but I always get good consistent results from the instant.

Breadmaker Italian Bread

1 1/4 C Water
1 1/2 - 2 t Salt ( I use the 1 1/2, but the orig. recipe used 2)
2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 1/4 C King Arthur Bread Machine Flour
1/4 C King Arthur Italian Bread Improver
2 t Instant Yeast

Place ingredients in your breadmaker according to manufacturer's
suggestions.
Select the dough cycle.
When finished, place the dough on lightly floured board.  Punch down.
Flatten out slightly, and with wet hands, pat water on the top of the
dough.
Dry your hands, and roll the dough in a jelly roll fashion.  Place the
dough on a
floured peel, or directly onto a heavy, dark, baking sheet.  Let rise 35-40
mins.
Preheat oven to 350.  Bake at 350 for about 20 mins.  I have a stone, so
after 20 mins, I remove bread from the pan, and place it on the stone for
about 5 mins, to crisp the bottom.

I've also used this recipe in the Kitchenaid.  It turned out pretty close
to the same, but required more attention than the breadmaker.

Caron