Re: Crumbly texture

TaktEZ@aol.com
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 12:58:30 -0400 (EDT)
v097.n040.7
In a recent letter you wrote:

>My question--The whole wheat bread was adequate, definitely edible, but
>nothing to write home about.  It was very crumbly.  Now I have not tried
>any other wheat recipes, but I thought I would access the vast knowledge
>available on this list and solicit any tips you all have to offer.
>
>Would using part white and part wheat make it any better?  Also, I did
add
>gluten to the recipe, if that matters.

Hi Mary Anne

How are things in Columbia.  I live just about 100 miles east of you in the
little village of Webster Groves.  Before I retired I traveled to Columbia
many times on business.   I always enjoyed having dinner at the Boone Tavern,
is it still there?  Also, my youngest son graduated from MU with a BS in
mechanical engineering so we do have ties to dear old Mizzou.

Now, on to more serious talk about whole wheat bread.

Yes, using part white flour will produce a lighter, higher, less crumbly
loaf.

Yes, adding gluten is important.  The added gluten compensates for the low
level in the whole wheat flour.  It will provide more structure in your loaf

Below is my favorite recipe for whole wheat bread.  It has a very light,
moist texture and the honey gives it a nice sweet component.  Notice that it
contains two cups white flour and only one cup whole wheat flour.

The ascorbic acid is not a must, but it helps to lower the pH of the dough
and the yeast microorganisms appreciate that very much.   You can purchase
ascorbic acid powder (vitamin C) in your local health food store, just be
sure it is the all natural kind.

The health food stores also carry vital wheat gluten.  Whenever a bread
recipe calls for flours other than white flour, it is a good idea to add one
tablespoon of gluten for each cup of the non white flour.

If your bread machine has a warm up cycle as does the Zojirushi, you can skip
warming the milk and water.  The machine will do it for you.

I hope this helps.

Don

                    *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

                         Honey Whole Wheat Bread

Recipe By     : The Southside Journal - St. Louis MO
Serving Size  : 14   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads: Yeast

     1/2  cup           milk -- 80 deg. F
     1/4  cup           water -- 80 deg. F
   1                    egg -- room temp
   1      tablespoon    margarine -- softened
     1/4  cup           honey
   1      teaspoon      salt
     1/8  teaspoon      ascorbic acid
   2      tablespoons   vital wheat gluten
   2      cups          bread flour
   1      cup           whole-wheat flour
   2 1/4  teaspoons     yeast

Plunk ingredients in bread machine in order suggested for your particular
bread machine and  punch "GO."