Re: Cooling Bread

"Jazzbel" <jazzbel@grouper.batelnet.bs>
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 18:47:40 -0400
v097.n039.11
> 1) How long do you cool bread?
I just leave the loaves on a rack, uncovered.
> 2) How do you store it?
I only keep enough bread for 1-2 days.  The rest goes i  the freezer,
sometimes sliced.
Now for the refrigerator/bread box controversy.  It boils down to staleness
vs. mold.  I wrote down the answer  from a USDA publication many years ago.

There is some data from the USDA that says bread will keep moist
indefinitely if kept at 140F.
Ooops, that is mold heaven.  The USDA also says that at 1ooF bread will
keep fresh for a little less than foru days.  That's alos Mold Mas.
At 70F, bread will keep moist but for TW0 days!
At 32F in the refrigerator, bread will stay fresh for TEN hours!!

So, I keep it in a bread box or rubbermaid container at our average 80F
temperature.

Later,
Jazzbel