Re: Question on Proper Rising Times

Joyce L Owen <jowen@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Sun, 18 May 1997 18:13:28 +0100
v097.n037.7
>From: Susan Chapin <schapin@mitre.org>
>Subject: Question on Proper Rising Times
>Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 11:01:20 -0400
Susan asked:
>  I noticed that after about an hour of the
>second rise the bread simply stopped rising.  To be certain, I left the
>second rise for two hours, and observed that there was no further change.
> So obviously the yeast had died.  The resulting bread was fine, no
>different from what I was used to using the White/Whole Grain cycle.

Susan, I doubt that your yeast died.  It seems more likely that it simply
used up the available nutrients (sugar) in your dough, so it stopped
producing carbon dioxide.
Joyce

Joyce L. Owen           jowen@oregon.uoregon.edu
Eugene OR
Visit the Website of the Fanconi Anemia Research Fund, Inc.
http://www.rio.com/~fafund