[no subject]

Irwin@prodigy.com (MR IRWIN H FRANZEL)
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 23:21:55, -0500
v097.n033.20
To: QuinnF@ni.net (Quinn Farnes)

You went to a lot of trouble to solve a problem  To your credit you found
the answer to an interesting question and tell a great story in the
process. Who knows? Someday, your could be made into a movie!

Bread has been around for a long time. It is remarkable that only recently
have the various interactions of the ingredients been understood. The yeast
in bread is an organism that is in a state of suspended animation when it
is dried. It can last in that state for many years and is revitalized by
the addition of water. If the yeast is in an environment of proper acidity,
it will digest sugars and produce waste products consisting of alcohol and
carbon dioxide gas. (Let's remember the gas, to talk about the meaning of
Pumpernickel, later.)

The reason that dough rises is that it has the strength to contain the
bubbles of gas the yeast produces. An interesting analogy is to consider
balloons. Some balloons are made out of good stuff. They can be blown up to
great sizes without bursting. Others get to a certain point and suddenly
pop. The same is true of the bubbles that are produced by the gas the yeast
gives off in dough. If the dough is strong - the bubbles hold together. If
the dough is weak - the bubbles burst and the bread never rises at all, or
collapses, usually when the baking heater comes on. The strength of dough
depends upon the development of long chains of gluten. These chains, in
turn, depend upon two things, the amount of gluten and the quality of
kneading. There is no doubt that the Zoji, with its two component kneading
system has superior kneading capability. The pulling and stretching of the
dough (compared to the stirring of other machines) is what develops the
gluten to the point where it produces a d
ough strong enough to rise without the bubbles bursting.

You are absolutely right, Quinn, add gluten to your recipe when needed. How
much to add? Our experience has taught us that if the protein content of
white flour is less than 10%, 1-1/2 teaspoons per cup of flour will make a
big difference in the quality of the rise. With whole grain flours, such as
whole wheat or rye, 1-1/2 tablespoons of gluten per cup produces an amazing
difference. We often make a light, 100% whole wheat loaf. We make it in the
Zoji on the Quick Cycle, with no alterations! We usually use freshly ground
hard, red, winter wheat, which we grind before baking in our Miracle Mill.
It is a bread that even children who only like Wonderbread will eat!

Now, about pumpernickel. "Pumper" does refer to flatulence and is usually
translated into a four letter "F" word. "Nick" refers to the devil, who is
known as "Old Nick" in many folk tales and legends in northern Europe. The
complete meaning, therefore, is "Devil's F---". How did such a good bread
get such a name? The rye used in pumpernickel contains a considerable
amount of fiber both soluble and insoluble. It serves to affect our
digestive system in a way similar to Metamucil. It produces gas, lots of
it. So I would suggest that you never eat a lot of pumpernickel in a crowd.
Especially if you are the only one eating it.

Happy baking.                           Irwin/Delta Rehab/Using Zojis