No knead bread

Andrew Plukss <andrewp@vicalpha.vic.BoM.GOV.AU>
Sat, 3 May 1997 01:30:32 +1000 (EST)
v097.n033.2
I've been making bread for some time now using the NO KNEAD method. I
don't really know how or why it works - it may be the type of dry yeast
or the improver that is used. If someone could explain it to me I would
be grateful.

The yeast is finely granulated and accepts handhot water. The improver
contains soya flour, soya bean enzymes, tartaric acid, soluble fatty
acids and vitamin C (used 5 teaspoons per 3lbs flour).  The flour used is
bread flour and or pasta dura flour.

In Australia (Melbourne) we have a "Simply NO KNEAD" franchise (owner
Carol Bates) which sells everything required to make bread using her own
recipes and method.  Having made bread many years ago using the standard
kneading method I was skeptical about the quality of the NO KNEAD bread,
but to my suprise the method works and WORKS WELL.  The bread I make now
is better than the bread I used to make with all that tiresome kneading.
I have found that any recipe can be made using this method - staight
bread, light rye, sourdough, bagels and even finicky baguattes as well as
danish.  Does anyone in the USA use this method (apart from the Grant
loaf which looks as if it's a bit cakeish)?

The bread is made by hand. All dry ingredients go into a large bowl, add
liquid, stir to make a soft firm dough (it's too soft and sticky to
knead). Let rise unti double/trble in size, turn out onto lightly floured
board, knock back and knead 20 TIMES(turns) to expel the air bubbles.
Shape and let rise as per normal and then bake.

Great homemade bread without the hard work and no need for a bread
machine. But why and how it works is still a mystery to me.

Rita