Canadian ingredients and a Canadian flour for whole wheat bread

jstout <jstout@tnc.com>
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 02:54:38 -0600 (MDT)
v097.n032.10
Hi! :-D!!

That bread really does sound Canadian of origin, with maple syrup and Red
River Cereal -- Yum!!

Red River Cereal is a mix of three grains/seeds, wheat, flax, and rye. It's
made here in Alberta and was 'invented' in the Red River Valley in Manitoba.

I think you could probably add your own mixture of grains. The cereal grains
are ground into tiny pieces about the size of cracked wheat, or smaller. I
don't think the flax is ground.

I should add that there's a flour sold here that can be used instead of
white flour in bread recipes. We've used it for years without needing to add
any white flour at all, though for bread machine use I like to add some
gluten for an even better rise. It's called Robin Hood Whole Wheat Flour,
and the loaves from it are nearly as light and large as those made from
white flour only. Good stuff!

Have fun with the bread!

Janet :-D!!