"r.r. cereal"

"Joan Mathew" <cmathew@iadfw.net>
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 06:38:57 -0500
v097.n032.1
>I found an interesting sounding recipe in the Village Bakery Recipe
>Bin at http://countrylife.net/bread/recipes/65.html, but I'm not quite
>sure what one of the ingredients is.  It calls for 1 cup of r.r.
>cereal. The poster is from Canada. Is this a popular cereal in Canada?
> <recipe snipped>

I am making a wild guess here, but I've occasionally seen ingredient
references to "Red River Cereal".  Here's a description I found in
another recipe:

"*Red-River Cereal is a multi-grain cereal available in Canada (and
elsewhere I am sure) that contains cracked wheat, cracked rye and
whole flax seeds. It is high in fibre and very tasty."

I'll bet you could easily substitute any high-fiber, bulk cereal
(such as Grape Nuts or oatmeal) to have a nice end product.
Remember, bread-making is not one of those things where you always
have to be exact.  A little variation here and there, such as
ingredients like this, is nearly always OK and often yields a tasty
result.

Hope this is useful,
Joan

cmathew@airmail.net