French Baguette Clay Baker

"Caron Rose"<crose@sbd.com>
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 08:33:21 -0400
v097.n031.11
>When ready to bake, cover the dish with the soaked lid and place in >a
COLD oven.  Turn on the oven, set the temperature control to 400 >deg. F
and allow to bake 30 min. with the lid on.  After the 30 min. >remove the
lid, reduce the temp to 375 deg. F and bake another 15-20 >min. or until
the desired color is reached.  During the final baking >period, turn the
dish periodically to ensure even browning...

I bought one of these clay bakers a while back, too.  I've made about 10
loaves in it, and  though they have all come out with a wonderful top
crust, I cannot get the bottom crust to brown IN the pot.  I have to remove
the 'finished' loaf, and place it on my pizza stone to brown it.  The
inside texture is great, and the top crust is perfect.  But the bottom
never seems to brown.  What am I doing wrong?

My recipe is as follows:
1 1/4 cup water
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 1/4 cup KA Bread Machine flour
1 1/2 tsp yeast

The machine <Zoji> does the kneading.  I leave it for about 1 hour for rise
time, punch down, shape, place it in the soaked pot, and let rise till
doubled <varies with kitchen temp>.  I do preheat the oven to 400 before
putting the pot in, bake for about 35 mins, then lower to 375 for another
15 mins.  Could preheating the oven be the problem?

BTW - I've tried placing the pot on an oven rack, directly on the stone,
and even removing the stone and placing the pot on the bottom rack...  and
still - pure white bottom crust, golden brown top crust.
Thanks
Caron