Bread Folly!

bgl@leass.PCC.COM (Barbara Leass)
Sun, 9 Mar 97 23:45:40 CST
v097.n021.17
>   Hi Everyone,
       One of my daughters has a school project...I was trying to make
   a bread that would be.. from the time of the Roman Empire.. this
  recipe is the result of my effort.. I don't think they had Lora Brody's
 Bread dough enhancer back then ...This loaf did not turn out the way it was
intended..   The end result was more like a thick foccacia..Very nice
texture and crust .......As I understand it, the breads from that time period
 were thin and Pita-like.. Does anyone have an authentic recipe?
     Well enjoy this recipe..It is definitely a 90's recipe!
         Barbara

>                    *  Exported from  MasterCook Mac  *
>
>                         Ancient Roman Bread Folly
>
> Recipe By     : bgl
> Serving Size  : 12   Preparation Time :3:00
> Categories    : Breadmaker                       Breads
>
>   Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> --------  ------------  --------------------------------
>    1 1/2  cups          water
>    3      cups          whole wheat flour-white
>    1      cup           bread flour
>    1      tablespoon    yeast
>    1      tablespoon    Laura Brody Dough Enhancer
>    4      tablespoons   olive oil
>    2      teaspoons     salt
>    1      tablespoon    fresh rosemary -- chopped fine
>                         extra olive oil and salt for topping
>
> Put in bread Machine in the order of machine ..use dough cycle..  flatten
out ..
> put in large round pan.. let rise for an other hour ..flatten with
fingers.. drizzel more
> olive oil lightly on top.. sprinkle with Kosher salt..Bake in 450 preheated
oven for 25 min..

> Per serving: 84 Calories; 5g Fat (51% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 9g
Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 357mg Sodium