[no subject]

MJADLOS@VM.STLAWU.EDU
Tue, 11 Mar 97 16:41:49 EST
v097.n021.16
Here are the Easter bread by hand recipes.  I hope someone can tell me
    how to convert them for bread machine use.

Pasca or Babka

2 pkg. yeast
1/2 c. water
3 c. flour
1 pt. lukewarm milk
pinch sugar

Mix together and let sit for 10 mins.

1- 1 1/2 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 t. salt
1/2 c. butter, melted and cooled

Beat eggs and sugar, add salt and butter.  Combine with yeast mixture.

Approx. 8 c. flour
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 - 1 c. raisins

Add spices and mix in flour gradually.  Knead 1/2 hr.  Add raisins and
    knead them in.  Let rise, punch down and let rise again.  Put in loaf
    pans and brush tops with egg wash of 1 beaten egg and 1 T. water.
    Bake at 375 for 35-40 mins.  Makes 3 loaves.

Italian Easter Braid

1 pkg. yeast
1/4 c. water
3/4 c. scalded milk
1 sm. pkg. lemon pudding mix
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. butter or margarine, melted
2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. salt
1 t. lemon flavoring
4-4 1/2 c. flour
3 beaten eggs
1 egg beaten w/ 1 T. water

Proof yeast in water.  Pour milk over pudding, lemon flavoring, vanilla,
    sugar, butter, and salt.  Stir until pudding dissolves and cools to
    lukewarm.  Add 1 1/2 c. flour, mix well.  Add yeast and 3 eggs.
    Gradually add  remaining flour.  Turn onto floured surface and let
    rest 10 mins.  Knead 8-10 mins.  Place in lightly greased bowl and
    turn once.  Let rist until double, approx. 1 1/2 hrs.  Punch down and
    let rise again, about 1 hour.  Braid dough.  For egg baskets, make a
    small braid with about 1 inch in diameter strands.  Form into a
    circle about 4-6 inches in diameter, put a dyed, hardboiled egg in
    the middle.  Put a rope of dough across the top like a handle.
    Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with non pareils.  Bake at 350 for
    30 mins.

Melissa Jadlos