Re: Digest bread-bakers.v097.n007

Rosebud <janetm@online1.magnus1.com>
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 13:48:10 -0500 (EST)
v097.n009.1
Carolyn wrote the following:

> You can use your oven to keep sourdough starter warm or even to let bread
> rise by turning on the oven light, placing the bowl in the oven and closing
> the door.  This will work as well or better than a gas pilot light (with
> electric ignition these days very few of us still have a constant pilot
> anyway).  I have an oven thermometer setting on an oven rack and the temp
> hovers around 85F. with this method in my oven.

	Yes, this does work very well.  The only thing is, be sure to put
up a note somewhere really obvious that the starter is in there if someone
else may cook in your kitchen.  I lost my favorite starter when it was in
the oven and my husband turned it on to pre-heat for something he was
going to cook, decided to go take a shower while it was heating up, and
came back to find that it had cooked into a solid mass.

Cheers,
Janet