Re: sourdough dilemma (metal contact)

Mark_Judman@colpal.com (Mark Judman)
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 15:47:53 -0500
v097.n007.4
     Jenni Miller (miller@micro.ti.com) wrote

     >The directions for the starter make it very clear that I shouldn't
     >use anything metal in connection with it.  My question is, does that
     >mean I can't use my KitchenAid (with its stainless steel bowl) to
     >make the actual bread?

     Jenni,
     No.  I'm sure the intention of the instructions was that metal might
     inhibit the growth (especially the initial growth) of the delicate
     wild yeasts.  Once the culture is strongly established with your dough
     full of millions and millions of the little critters, I'm sure a few
     minutes of contact with a metal bowl aren't going to do any harm.
     Relax.

     Mark Judman <Mark_Judman@colpal.com>