More sour - Quarry Tile Bread

Lobo119@worldnet.att.net
Mon, 06 Jan 1997 16:20:33 -0700
v097.n003.4
The following recipe should satisfy those who want a sourdough bread that
tastes sour.  I got the recipe off the net somewhere and regret I can't give
credit; it may even have been from this list.  It was a yeast recipe
originally and I converted it for sourdough.  I think this one tastes more
sour because it has a lot of expanded starter in it ... more than is usually
seen in recipes for the same amount of bread.
--------------------------------------
QUARRY TILE BREAD - Makes 1 round loaf or 2 loaf pan loaves

Bake on cornmeal dusted, unglazed tile or a pizza stone on the bottom rack
of oven to make it nice and crusty.  Or put it in bread pans; it'll work
either way.

2 cups expanded sourdough
1 t. salt
1 t. sugar
1/5 c. water (eyeball it ;) (it's odd because of my conversion formula)
1 T. olive oil
1 1/3 to 2 c. flour (enough to make a soft dough ... should feel like a
baby's bottom)
	Mix everything together.  Knead bread.  Let rise until it's doubled.  Punch
out bubbles and form loaf; let rise until it's doubled.  Preheat oven and
quarry tiles for 20 minutes at 425 degrees.  Bake 30 minutes, painting with
salt water every 10 minutes (I didn't do this painting business and still
got a chewy crust - Lobo).
	For baking on the tiles, I lined a small Corning dish (1.5 quart) with a
dish towel and let the bread rise in it.  I took it out by lifting it out by
the towel, transferred it to one hand and quickly put it on the stone right
side up.