English soda bread

LIR119@delphi.com
Thu, 26 Dec 1996 08:32:19 -0500 (EST)
v096.n070.3
I just saw this recipe on t.v. the other day and was intrigued by it.I made
the bread and it is good when fresh from the oven with butter and jam.
Toast it the following day. It's bare bones, no fat since I used skim milk.
Although a quick bread, it had the texture and quality of almost a yeast
bread.
However the method of covering the loaf indeed did produce one of the
crustiest loaves I made. I am contemplating experimenting using this idea
with yeast based recipes.
Here it is for all those curious bread bakers who want to try something new!
BTW, the demonstrated bread used regular milk and baking powder so that's
what I tried the first time for my loaf.
This is not a sweet bread and there is no sugar in the recipe if you were
wondering. And it tastes nothing like Irish soda bread!

--MM
title: ENGLISH SODA BREAD
categories: breads, ethnic
yield: 1

1 1/2 tsp baking soda
"OR" 1 1/2 tsp baking powder if not using sour or buttermilk
1 1/2 cups milk ( if sour use the soda )
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
3 cups flour( wasnt specified but I used bread flour although all
purpose is generally used in quick breads )

Preheat oven to 425 F !
Mix all the ingredients together by hand with a fork  as you would for
biscuits, i.e. gently  and quickly until a dough ball forms, leaving the
sides of the bowl. Place dough on a greased baking sheet.
Use a piece of plastic wrap to cover the dough so you can easily shape it
into a round loaf with your hands.( it's a sticky dough that's why )
Remove plastic, use a sharpe knife and cut, slash an "X" accross the top
of the dough.
Dust top of loaf with flour.( for looks only )
Now use a large metal bowl and completely cover the loaf with it!
Bake in the preheated 425F oven for 30 minutes.
Remove bowl ,( careful, steam will escape,) and return bread to the oven
and bake another 30 minutes at 425 or until golden.
You should have a crusty loaf with a lovely moist interior.
Note: my bread finished baking in 15 minutes after the bowl was removed
not 30 and was a good golden brown.
This truely tastes best when served warm.
Enjoy!
-----

Joan,"Flour Power"

`[1;36;45mRainbow V 1.18.3 for Delphi - Registered