A question and a recipe

"Sharon Hale" <sharon.hale@ibm.net>
Wed, 18 Dec 96 18:23:44 -0700
v096.n068.16
I have received BBD for several weeks now and have enjoyed reading all the articles. I bake bread
manually (with the help of my trusty KitchenAid), but lately I have been inspired by all the
delicious sounding recipes for ABMs. I know that I can use the recipes just as they are given, but
my question is what oven temperature should I use ? If anyone knows, I would appreciate hearing.
I usually bake at 400, but I know that some recipes using things like cheese, etc. should be baked
at a lower temperature.

This is a super easy, country-style bread that I adapted from Jacque Pepin. It's great because it is
very little work and can be made on work days, although it takes two days.

Jacque P Bread

26 oz flour (about 6 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 cups water, room temperature
1-2 tsp yeast*
1-2 tab oil (optional)

Place flour, salt and yeast (and oil) in Kitchenaid bowl fitted with dough hook Start machine on
speed 2. Gradually add water. Mix/knead  for 8 minutes. Dough will come together by itself and
needs no attention. (Hand kneading unnecessary!) Remove dough from bowl and place in a large
plastic container with a lid--I use a cake keeper--that has been oiled. Cover  container with a
dampened tea towel and then with lid. Place in refrigerator overnight. The next morning, remove
from frig and place on counter. Let raise during the day--I often let it go up to 12 hours. It will fill
the bottom of the container completely. Deflate  dough, work a bit,  and shape a round loaf. Place
on a cornmeal-dusted peel or cookie sheet. Cover with upside down plastic container. Let raise
1-2 hours, or until dough seems ready. Carefully slash loaf  about 1/8- 1/4" deep (too deep will
deflate the loaf, but it will still work fine) on top and sides. Have the oven  preheated to 400,
preferably with a pizza stone. Spray loaf with water, or alternatively sprinkle with flour, if desired.
Transfer loaf to cooking stone or place cookie sheet in oven. Sprits oven with water several times
during the first 10 minutes of baking, or throw a couple of ice cubes on the bottom. Bake about 40
minutes until the loaf sounds hollow or the internal temperature is 190-200 degrees.

I must admit that sometimes I get a great oven spring and sometimes not, but the loaf always
looks (and tastes) good. I usually use 3 oz of either whole wheat flour or rye flour as a part of the
flour weight.

* adjust the amount of yeast based on the desired raising time and the room temperature- I always
use 1  tsp.

Sharon Hale
Los Angeles

Play with your dough!