Re: Baking time & temperature for little loaves

"Bill Hatcher" <bhatcher@gc.net>
Sat, 14 Dec 1996 16:48:04 -0500
v096.n067.10
> From: bc151@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Ken Fisler)
> Subject: Baking time & temperature for little loaves
> Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 16:16:52 -0500 (EST)
>

> I want to bake some little loaves... about half the size of the
> regular one or one-and-a-half pound cherubs I normally bake.  Yeah,
> they're to be holiday gifts.  Anybody have baking specs?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Ken

I often bake small (5x2 1/2x1 1/2") loaves of zucchini or banana bread for
holiday gifts, and as you surmise, they require considerably shorter baking
times.

Unfortunately, I can't give you hard and fast rules; it depends on the type of
bread, actual size of the pan, shiny or black finish, oven temp, etc.  For the
types listed above ("cake" breads), do the standard toothpick test at about the
halfway point in the time recommended for a standard loaf pan, and then check
every few minutes until the toothpick comes out clean. Note the required time
for your next effort with the same recipe.

For regular loaf bread, I find that the weight of the loaf is the best
indicator; a loaf heavy for its size is probably not yet done.  For french or
italian bread, I tap on it: if it sounds hollow and no longer feels heavy, it
is ready to come out.

Sorry I can't be more definitive, but as has been said, baking is an art as
well as a science.

Bon appetite.

Bill Hatcher
bhatcher@gc.net