Home Bread-Bakers v096.n065.2

Re: Bread machines capacity

"Ron Cochran" <cochran@vbe.com>
Mon, 9 Dec 1996 06:24:14 -0600
>Subject: Bread machines capacity
>Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 02:40:41 +0000

>I am new to bread machines, and in London, England,
>I have only found a Hinari
>machine for 1.5 lb loafs. Since we are a growing
>family of seven at the moment,
>I was wondering if there are any other machines for bigger loafs.

I have a Zoji breadmachine that makes a 1.5lb. loaf.  I used to have a Mr.
Coffee machine that claimed to be able to make a 2lb. loaf, but in reallity
would only make a 1.5lb. loaf as well.  If I tried to make a 2lb. loaf in
it, the bread would touch to top of the oven.  I know that many machines in
the US advertise that they make a 2lb. loaf, and I assume that some really

Still, I have learned that people really use bread by volume and not by
weight. That is, you cut a slice to eat that "looks about right".  You
never weigh it.  The 1.5lb. loaf that my Zoji machine makes is a reasonable
sized loaf and works for our family just fine.

I sent in these questions to the list several weeks ago, but I never got any
answers.  I have also tried asking Zojirushi, but didn't get anywhere there
either.  I am starting to think that I just ask hard questions.

First, I use the "cake" cycle on my Zoji quite a bit.  I noticed that the
bake time on that cycle is 85min., but the Home Made cycle bake time is
limited to 60min.  I got one response that told me that the 85min. is
actually far too long, and the 60min. bake time in Home Made was fine.  But
I have used the Cake cycle for banana and apple breads, and the 85min. bake
time seemed fine for each of those.  What do you think?  If I need >60min.
for "bake" in Home Made, is there any way to get around this limit?

I also noticed that most of the times listed in my Zoji manual are ranges
and not times.  Even the 2nd knead cycle says 20-25min.  I can understand
that the time for some cycles, like preheat, will depend on how warm the
initial ingredients and the room are.  But not knead cycles.  I asked a guy
a Zoji this question, and got noplace.  He said that there is a more
expensive machine (seems a little strange, considering what a Zoji costs)
that has a more exact timer in it and does not have ranges.  Do you
understand this?

Thanks much!

Take care!

Ron Cochran
1002 Pembrook Dr.
Neenah, WI  54956

When all else fails, sit calmly and breathe consciously.