Chapati

Don Jorgensen <donj@u.washington.edu>
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 18:45:04 -0800 (PST)
v096.n056.2
Here's a recipe for chapati, which Reggie requested a couple weeks
ago.  Sorry it took me so long to send this.  I've tried this recipe,
and I liked the chapati.  Just be careful not to add too much flour
when you're rolling out the chapati.  Too much flour makes them
tough.       ...Nadia

Chapati

     2-1/2   c   whole wheat flour
     2       T   butter
     1       t   salt
     1       c   lukewarm water

Put 2 cups flour into a large mixing bowl.  Cut butter into small
pieces.  Make a hollow in the center of the flour and add butter.
Rub butter into flour with your fingertips until mixture looks like
large bread crumbs.

Mix salt into water.  Add enough water, a little at a time, to flour
mixture to make a firm (but not stiff) dough.  Knead dough in bowl for
about 5 or 10 minutes.  Cover bowl with a damp cloth and let stand at
room temperature for at least 1 hour.

Divide dough into 1 1/2-inch pieces, and roll each piece into a smooth ball.
Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup flour onto a flat surface.  With a rolling pin,
roll out each ball until it resembles a thin pancake.

Heat a hevy skillet or griddle over medium-high heat.  Place one chapati
in the center.  When small brown spots appear and the edges begin to curl
up (in about 1 minute), turn the chapati over with a spatula.  Cook chapati
for about 2 minutes or until small brown spots appear.  Wrap the cooked
chapati in a towel to keep them warm.

Makes 12 to 15 chapati.