Dinner Rolls and Two More

bob.stedfeld@pcohio.com (Bob Stedfeld)
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 12:37:00 -0500
v096.n052.20
This is a dinner roll recipe for Sharon (BunnyMama@aol.com) who
asks for a bread roll recipe.  Plus a bonus of two other recipes,
Cinnamon Rolls and Swedish Tea Ring, that can be made with the
same basic rich, sweet dough.

BUTTERY DINNER ROLLS

Makes 12 rolls

1 egg
1/4 cup water plus 1/2 cup milk
4 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp dry yeast (mine goes from freezer to bread pan)
2-1/4 cups bread flour
1 tsp salt
4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) butter, melted

This is my procedure; yours may differ:  Heat milk and water to
90 F in microwave.  Add ingredients to bread pan in order shown.
Drizzle melted butter over flour.  If "raft" forms, break up with
spatula.

Select KNEAD AND FIRST RISE cycle.

When dough is through first rise, form rolls one of the following
ways, dusting the work surface with a bit of flour if necessary.
Place formed rolls on greased baking sheet.  Cover with plastic
wrap and let rise until doubled in size.  Tops can be glazed with
a wash of egg and a bit of water, but it isn't really necessary.

Preheat oven to 400 F.  When rolls are put in, turn oven down to
350 F.  Bake for 10 to 20 minutes until rolls are light brown.

Butterhorns and Crescents:  Divide the dough into 2 pieces.  Roll
each into an 8-inch circle.  With a pizza cutter or knife, cut
each circle into 6 wedges.  Roll up wedge toward the point,
pulling and stretching the dough slightly as you roll.  Place on
baking sheet with point underneath.  For Crescents, curve roll
into a crescent shape.

Bowknots and Rosettes:  Divide the dough into 2 pieces.  Roll
each into a thick rope and cut into 6 equal pieces.  Roll each of
the 12 pieces into a slender 8-inch rope.  For a Bowknot, tie
each into a knot.  For a Rosette, bring one end up and through
the center of the knot, bringing the other end over the side and
under.  Press end to the baking sheet to keep them from untying.

Note:  Can also make Parker House, cloverleaf, fan-tan, and pan
      rolls.  See Bernard Clayton, _The Complete Book of Breads_
      or other reference.

CINNAMON ROLLS WITH RAISINS

Make same dough as Buttery Dinner Rolls, through first rise.

Filling:
3 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1/2 cup raisins

Glaze:
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 to 2 Tbsp lemon juice

On a lightly floured surface, roll and spread the dough to a 12
inch by 15 inch rectangle. Brush with melted butter.  Combine the
sugar, cinnamon and lemon peel; sprinkle evenly over the butter.
Sprinkle with raisins.

Starting from a long side, roll up the dough tightly.  Pinch the
long edge of the dough into the roll.  Slice into 9 rolls.  Place
in a greased 9 by 9-inch baking pan, cut side up.  Cover and let
rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Bake at 350 F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool
for 10 minutes.   Combine 1 Tbsp lemon juice with the
confectioner's sugar, adding only enough additional lemon juice
to make a very thick glaze.  Drop and spread with a teaspoon over
the rolls.

Note: I'm thinking about trying orange peel and juice instead of
lemon, but haven't done so yet.

SWEDISH TEA RING

Make same dough as Buttery Dinner Rolls, through first rise.

Filling:
2 Tbsp butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon (approx.)
3/4 cup ground nuts (I use walnuts)

Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp butter, softened or melted
1 to 2 tsp milk, added a bit at a time

On a lightly floured surface, roll and stretch the dough out to a
13 by 20 inch rectangle.  Spread butter over dough, using a knife
and/or a stiff basting brush.  Sprinkle with cinnamon FIRST, then
brown sugar and nuts.  Try to spread filling right to the short
ends.  Beginning at the long side, roll up jelly-roll style as
many turns as possible.  Pinch the long edge of the dough into
the roll.

Shape into a circular ring on a greased pizza pan or cookie
sheet.  If filling doesn't come right to the end of the roll,
consider snipping off a bit of the end with a pair of scissors.
Join the ends of the roll, using a bit of water.  With scissors,
make cuts along the outside edge 1/2 to 3/4 way through the ring
at 1 to 1-1/2 inch intervals.  Turn each section on its side (at
a slant).  Can be covered and refrigerated at this point to hold.

Cover and let rise until doubled, 30 minutes or more.  Preheat
oven to 375 F.  When ring goes in the oven, turn down to 350 F.
Bake 20 to 30 minutes at 350 F.

Mix icing until smooth and the consistency of heavy cream.
Drizzle on the hot Tea Ring with a teaspoon.

Note:  Can cut red and/or green maraschino cherries in half and
place one half on each section of the ring -- a nice Christmas
touch.

Bob Stedfeld  (bob.stedfeld@pcohio.com)

 |_|_| PC-OHIO PCBoard Online * pcohio.com * V34+ 33.6: 216-381-3320
 |_|_| The Best BBS in America * Cleveland, OH * Go Tribe In '97