Re: Post Hurricane Yeast Question

"Bill Hatcher" <bhatcher@gc.net>
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 10:14:34 -0400
v096.n042.1
> From: Arthur Gregg <agregg@email.unc.edu>
> Subject: Post Hurricane Yeast Question
> Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 14:24:26 -0400 (EDT)
>
> I have been following and enjoying this list for a while now, and really
> have found many useful tips and great recipes.  I know yeast questions
> seem to get asked every other week, but I would just like an opinion about
> whether my yeast suffered damage for the long run.  We just got our power back
> on after 6 LONG days w/o.  I had SAF both in the freezer (the large portion)
> and some in the fridge which I use on a regular basis.  It was VERY hot and
> humid here while our power was off, and the basic info being broadcast that
> things in your freezer would stay cold for 72 hrs. if you didn't open the door
> was NOT true.  We decided to check after 48 hrs. and everything was a stinky,
> raunchy, thawed mess!  That's another story!  The yeast in the fridge I just
> left in the airtight jar, and the freezer yeast I just left in its original
> bag which was also in a freezer Ziplock bag.  It sat that way for the
> duration.  Do you think that it will have suffered very much?  Love some
> input, and thanks in advance.
>
> Sally in NC

Sally -

Sorry to hear of your hurricane problems; we missed the brunt of it here in VA.

There is a pretty good chance the yeast is still good, but you probably should
use it as soon as you can; not because it will make you sick or anything - it
just may not last as long.

To see if it is good, just put a tsp of if in some warm water and see if it
foams up in a few minutes.  If it does, it is good; if not, trash it.

Good luck.

Bill Hatcher
bhatcher@gc.net
Southampton County, Virginia, USA