Challah

David Barnett <davidb@techunix.technion.ac.il>
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 23:38:14 +0300 (IDT)
v096.n034.5
This is the challah recipe I use every week, and I have never tasted one I
prefer.  It usually takes me around three hours from start to finish to
make, and is worth every minute of it.

Ariella in Haifa
davidb@tx.technion.ac.il

Challah
 (one large loaf or two small)

1 cup of water (minus 3 T) (approx 100F)
1 tea. of sugar
1 T. of yeast
1/4 tea. salt (optional)
1.5 T. oil (veggie)
1 egg (or one T of liquid lecithin)
1/4 cup honey
4-6 cups of flour

Mix warm water with sugar and yeast.  Let sit 5-10 minutes or until foamy.
Add salt, oil, egg, and honey, then beat.  Add (one cup at a time) flour,
when pliable (usually about 3- 3.5 cups of flour added), turn onto a
lightly floured surface and knead, while adding more flour (as necessary).
Knead no less than 10 minutes.  Place in greased bowl, and set in warm
place until double in bulk (usually 30-45 minutes).  Punch down dough, and
return, covered to warm place until double in bulk.  Punch down, and
divide into three or four pieces (I think its prettier with four), and
roll the pieces into long "snakes."  Braid the "snakes" and cover and
place in warm place until double in bulk (once again 30-45 minutes).
Place in pre-warmed oven - 325F / 165C, and bake 25-30 minutes or until
bottom sounds "hallow."