Donna's questions & announcing my home page

Robin Carroll-Mann <harper@tribeca.ios.com>
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 15:09:32 -0700
v096.n032.1
donna@mfslater.demon.co.uk (donna Slater) asked:
[snip]
>2.  Can anyone please tell me what cream of wheat is?  In the Bread
>Machine Cookbook by Donna German, there is a recipe for chocolate cream
>of wheat bread, but I cannot find out what cream of wheat is and it
>does not appear to be available here in the UK.

Cream of Wheat is a hot breakfast cereal, made mostly of wheat farina
enriched with a little wheat germ.  If the UK does not have an equivalent
brand, perhaps you can find farina in a health food store?

>3.  Could someone please explain exactly what a zip lock bag is?  I've
>seen them mentioned a lot on this list but again have never come across
>them in the UK.

A kind of plastic bag, used for food storage.  Some are made from heavier
plastic for freezer storage.  They have a special seal at the top: there
is a single ridge of stiff plastic across one side of the inside of the
bag, and a double ridge on the facing side.  The single ridge presses
tightly between the double ridges, creating an  air-tight seal.  Zip-lock
bags are great for storing leftovers, because they conform to the
available space in your fridge.  I also like them for marinating
meat/poultry -- just pick up the bag now and then, slosh it around, and
turn it over.  Some people use them for rising dough.

Hope this helps.

And now, a bit of self-advertising.  I have a home page devoted to bread,
which you nice folks are invited to visit.  Recipes for yeast breads,
quick breads, muffins, biscuits, and cornbreads, plus links to
bread-related sites around the Web.  Sorry, I have no bread machine
recipes -- I have no objections to them, but as a "by-hand" baker, I
haven't had occasion to collect any.

--
Harper *** Robin Carroll-Mann
harper@tribeca.ios.com OR rcmann@delphi.com