bread crumbs

bbriscoe@infolink.morris.mn.us (Bonnie Briscoe)
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 00:14:55 -0500
v096.n030.14
Terry Klodnicki asked:
Does anyone know how I can make and store bread crumbs using my leftover or
stale bread.  I would like to have plain bread crumbs available similar to if
I bought them in the store.  I suppose I need to toast them.  Does anyone else
do this?
--------------------------------

Here's my method:  I dry out the bread slices completely by placing them in
a single layer on a baking sheet in the oven.  I set the (electric) oven to
150 degrees for 10 minutes or so, then turn it off and turn on the oven
light.  The heat from the light bulb will dry the bread evenly over a
period of several hours without toasting it.  If the bread is really moist
at the start, turn the slices over occasionally to promote even drying.

After the bread is completely dry, put it in the blender 1 slice at a time
and grind it into crumbs.  Store the crumbs in an air-tight container (I
keep mine in a cool but not refrigerated place).

Bonnie

Bonnie Briscoe                   internet: bbriscoe@infolink.morris.mn.us
Briscoe & Associates -- Editorial Services & Training Program Development
500 East Third St.                                    phone: 320-589-1258
Morris, MN, USA 56267                                   fax: 320-589-1754
        Language is all that separates us from the lower animals--
                        and from the bureaucrats.