non-dairy/non-soy bread

Dennis & Sharon Foulk <dfoulk@surfsouth.com>
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 17:02:32 -0400 (EDT)
v096.n028.8
Thanks to everyone who answered my questions about fresh yeast and spaetzel!
I really appreciate the help.
Marvin Moskowitz was one of several people who wrote personally to suggest
that I contact my local bakery to see if they would sell me some of their
fresh yeast.  Maybe I can return the favor, Marvin.  I have used Rice Dream
with great success in several recipes.  The first is a variation of one of
Donna Rathmell German's from her book,_The Bread Machine Cookbook_.  The
original recipe calls for water and I have substituted soy milk and rice
dream  and the results were great.  The texture of the bread might have been
a little finer, but not much. Also, I never use butter or margarine anymore.
I use olive oil most of the time or canola.  The results are equally good.
I'll type her original recipe and put my substitutions in parentheses.
KASHI
water (rice dream)- 1 cup
margarine (olive oil) - 1 1/3 Tbsp.
brown sugar (sucanat) - 2 Tbsp.
salt              1 1/3 tsp. (D.R. German says a rounded 1/4 tsp= 1/3tsp.)
cooked Kashi (see below) 2/3 cup  (cooked brown rice works great-my favorite)
whole wheat flour   2/3 cup
bread flour      2 2/3 cup
yeast            2 1/2 tsp.

*You can find Kashi in a natural foods store or in the cereal section of some
grocery stores.  I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to buy Kashi wherever
you buy rice dream.  It is a combination of 7 grain berries.  Make sure you
get the "breakfast pilaf" which requires cooking. Use 2parts water to 1 part
kashi and cook, covered, for 30 min.  The directions are on the box.  Make
it for the softer version because even cooking it that way, the wheat
berries are very noticeable in the bread.

The other recipe I have substituted both soy milk and rice dream in is the
French Bread recipe that came with my bread machine.  We use it like white
bread.

2 to 2 1/2 tsp. yeast (depending on how old it is)
3 cups bread flour (have used 2 1/2 c bread flour and experimented with the
last 1/2 cup being whole wheat, or blends of rye, soy, buckwheat, rice
flours all with very good results)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. sugar (sucanat)
1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
1 1/3 cups water (rice dream and soy milk work great but the crust is not as
crispy, but that's ok). I watch the dough during the first couple of minutes
and sometimes I need to drizzle in a little more water, depending on the
weather. This recipe also makes wonderful pizza dough-enough for 2 pizzas
with thick crust

With the success I have had substituting with the rice milk, I think you
could easily use it in any dependable bread recipe.

If you or anyone else needs the Kashi recipe for smaller bread machines let
me know and I will e-mail it to you. Sorry, the French bread recipe only
came one way.

I hope this is some help to you.
Sharon Foulk