More on Storing Yeast

bob.stedfeld@pcohio.com (Bob Stedfeld)
Thu, 04 Jul 1996 16:44:00 -0500
v096.n024.2
Howdy, folks,
For years, I've been storing bulk dry yeast, bought at the local
co-op, in the freezer, and this seems to work very well.  The trick is
to store the yeast in an airtight container and don't leave the
container open very long when you measure some out.
        Since the yeast is frozen, you have to make sure it gets a
good start.  So heat the water or other liquid to about 110 deg F and
put it in the breadmaker pan first.  Next put in the sugar (to feed
the yeast). Then add the yeast.
        Shake the pan very lightly to wet the yeast.  Then let it
proof for a few minutes while you assemble the other ingredients.
Flour goes in next, and then the other stuff.
        I've kept yeast for 6 to 9 months this way with no problems --
no evidence of spoilage or loss of vitality.
        It's also an excellent way to coax hard-to-make breads to
life, but you have to watch it if the bread is a natural high-riser.
For example, a bread with egg or semolina may get too tall.  So you
might have to adjust some of your recipes accordingly.

Bob Stedfeld    bob.stedfeld@pcohio.com

Book for Cooks: After the Meal Is Over by Kay O'Pectate

 |_|_| PC-OHIO PCBoard Online * pcohio.com * V34+ 33.6: 216-381-3320
 |_|_| The Best BBS in America * Cleveland, OH * Go Tribe