Re: pottasium bromate

LIR119@delphi.com
Fri, 28 Jun 1996 21:46:42 -0500 (EST)
v096.n023.4
For the person inquiring about bromated flour:
Pottasium bromate is added to flour as an oxidizing agent to gluten. In
other words it makes the gluten in flour more stretchable and elastic and
thus a positive effect on bread flour.
It makes the dough stretch better and thus resulting in bigger baked
products. Also bromated flour bakes better under very high temps such as
pizza brick ovens.
Bromated flour is not bleached.  Chlorine dioxide does that!

Pottasium bromate  is added by the miller and not the
baker. Although added in minute amounts there is the question of health
concerns. From my knowledge a few states do not permit this additive in
flours anymore. I think California may be one of the states.

Personally I only use a good quality bread flour without the pottasium
bromate. I also did not find such a significant difference in my breads
using bromated flour.

Hopes this info helps!
Joan,"Flour Power"

`[1;33;46mRainbow V 1.18.3 for Delphi - Registered