Italian Bread Help

Sandy Gamble <scg@indirect.com>
Sat, 4 May 1996 11:29:37 -0700 (MST)
v096.n011.7
On April 30, 1996, Nick DiBiase <fltdyn@digital.net> requested
Italian Bread Help ...

>I've been in search of the following; a recipe for Italian bread like
>the kind you get at an Italian baker.

>I'm looking for a technique that yields a light crust with a very
>light body (typical of good Italian bread).

Nick...(and All)

I am <by far> an experienced bread baker, however, I did take the advise of
purchasing a book by Carol Field - The Italian Baker. Everything I've made
out of this book, comes out beautifully.  Anyway, here's 2 recipes; 1 for
the Biga and 1 for the bread that I made with the Biga.  I used Pillsbury
Unbleached All-Purpose Flour and some whole wheat flour that I bought at a
health food store.  Hope you have the success that I have, when making this
bread.

Sandy

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02

      Title: Biga (Italian Bread Starter)
 Categories: Breads, Starters
      Yield: 1 recipe

--------------------------TO MAKE 2 1/3 CUPS BIGA--------------------------
    1/4 ts Active dry yeast
    1/4 c  ;warm water
           -105 to 115 degrees F.
    3/4 c  Plus 1 Tb. plus 1 tsp. water
           -at room temperature
  2 1/2 c  Unbleached all-purpose flour
           (330 grams)

--------------------------TO MAKE 3 1/2 CUPS BIGA--------------------------
    1/2 ts Active dry yeast
    1/4 c  ;warm water
           -105 to 115 degrees F.
  1 1/4 c  Plus 2 Tb. water; room temp.
  3 3/4 c  Unbleached all-purpose flour
           (500 grams)

  Stir the yeast into the warm water and let stand until creamy looking,
  about 10 minutes. Stir in the remaining water and then the flour, 1 cup at
  a time.

  By Hand: Mix with a wooden spoon for 3 to 4 minutes.

  By Mixer: Mix with the paddle at the lowest speed for 2 minutes.

  By Processor: Mix just until a sticky dough is formed.

  Rising -
  Remove to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise at a
  cool room temperature for 6 to 24 hours. The starter will triple in volume
  and still be wet and sticky when ready. Cover and refrigerate until ready
  to use. When needed, scoop out desired amount.

  Also, it's best to weigh the biga, (like in a small diet scale) rather
  than trying to get it into a measuring cup, because amounts can vary.

  From the book -The Italian Baker by Carol Field  4-28-96

  Typos courtesy of Sandy Gamble <scg@indirect.com>

-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02

      Title: Pane di Como Antico (Como Bread of the Past)
 Categories: Breads, Italian
      Yield: 2 loaves

    3/4 c  Biga (180 grams)
           ----------------
  1 1/2 c  ;water at room temperature
           --------------------------
    1/2 c  Whole wheat flour (65 grams)
           ----------------------------
      3 c  To 3 3/4 cups unbleached
           All purpose flour
           (435 grams)
           ----------------------------
      2 ts Salt (10 grams)
           Cornmeal

  By Hand:
  =======
  Cut the starter into small pieces in a large mixing bowl. Add all but 1 to
  2 Tb. of the water and mix until the starter is in fime shreads and the
  liquid is chalky white. Stir in the whole wheat flour and most of the
  all-purpose flour, 1 cup at a time. When the dough is a fairly rough and
  shaggy mass, stir in the salt dissolved in the remaining water. Knead on a
  floured surface, sprinkling with up to 1/2 cup additional flour and suing
  the dough scraper to scrape up the fine film of dough that will accumulate
  on the sork surface, as well as to turn and lift the dough. After about 5
  minutes of kneading, slam the dough down hard several times to help
  develop the gluten. Continue kneading until the dough is smooth, a total
  of 8 to 12 minutes. The dough should still be soft, moist and sticky.

  By Mixer:
  ========
  Mix the starter and all but 1 to 2 Tbsp. of the water with the paddle in a
  large mixer bowl. Mix in the flours and then the salt dissolved in the
  remaining water. Change to the dough hook and knead at medium speed until
  soft, moist, and sticky but obviously elastic, about 4 minutes. Finish
  kneading by hand on a lightly floured surface, sprinkling with additional
  flour, until smooth but still soft.

  By Food Processor:
  =================
  Refrigerate the starter until cold. Process the starter and 1 1/2 cups
  cold water with the steel blade and remove to another bowl. Change to the
  dough blade and process the flours and salt with 2 or 3 pulses to sift.
  With the machine running, pour the starter mixture through the fed tube as
  quickly as the flour can absorb it. Process 30 to 45 seconds longer to
  knead. The dough will be moist and sticky. Finish kneading by hand on a
  lightly floured surface, sprinkling with additional flour, until the dough
  is smooth but still soft.

  First Rise:
  ==========
  Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let
  rise until doubled, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. The dough is ready when it has
  numberous bubbles and blisters under the skin.

  Shaping and Second Rise:
  =======================
  Divide the dough in half on a lightly floured surface without kneading it.
  Shape into 2 round loaves. Let them relax under a cloth for 20 minutes.
  Line baking sheets or peels with parchment paper and flour the paper
  generously. Roll each ball into a fat cylinder and place seam side down on
  the paper. Dimple the loaves all over with your fingertips or knuckles, as
  for focaccia, to keep the dough from springing up. The dough should feel
  delicate but extreme.ly springy. Cover the loaves and let rise until
  doubled, with many visible air bubbles, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.

  Baking:
  ======
  Thirty minutes before baking, heat the oven with a baking stone in it to
  425 degrees F. Sprinkle the baking stone with cornmeal. Carry the peel or
  baking sheet to the oven and very gently invert the dough onto the stone.
  Gently remove the parchment paper, peeling off very slowly. Immediately
  reduce the heat to 400 degrees F. and bake until golden, 35 to 40 minutes.
  Cool on wire racks.

  This dough can be made ahead and placed in the refrigerator for the second
  rise; the flavor is better with the long cool development of the yeast.

  Serve this with stews and meats with rich sauces, with green salads, fresh
  cheeses, sliced salami, and smoked meats.

  From the book - The Italian Baker by Carol Field