Confused re: Donna German's recipes

ellen@brakes.elekta.com
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 10:45:17 -0500
v096.n003.2
OK, I am *very* confused! I have seen at least 2 Donna German recipes that
were reportedly from her first book, yet they are quite different from the
recipes printed in my copy of her first book.

The ingredients are the same, but the amounts vary. Even the page numbers
cited were identical, yet the recipes were not. And, no, supposedly they
were not modified.

What gives? Are there two "first" German cookbooks that have the same
recipes printed on the same pages, but with different amounts? Is there a
Bread Machine Cookbook" and a "Bread Machine Cookbook 1" with the same
pages and recipes, only revised? Was there a reprint of the original
cookbook? My copy does not list a "1" after the name and was printed in
1991. It does not mention "revised" or "reprinted".

Here are the specifics:

On page 33 of my copy is THIS Italian Bread recipe:

*  Exported from  MasterCook Mac  *

                             Italian Bread

Recipe By     : BBD: Bread Machine Cookbook, Donna Rathmell German
Categories    : Bread Mailing List               Bread Machine

   1 1/4  cups          water
   1 1/2  teaspoons     sugar
     1/2  teaspoon      salt
   3      cups          bread flour
   2      teaspoons     yeast

Basic or French cycle.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 1531 Calories; 7g Fat (4% calories from fat); 52g Protein;
307g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 1087mg Sodium

I was given THIS recipe and told that it came from the German Bread Machine
Cookbook 1, pp. 33:

 *  Exported from  MasterCook Mac  *

                            Italian Bread

Recipe By     : Bread Machine Cookbook, Donna Rathmell German
Categories    : Bread Machine

   1 1/4  teaspoons     salt
   1      teaspoon      sugar
   3      cups          bread flour
   1      cup           water
   2      teaspoons     yeast

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 1500 Calories; 7g Fat (4% calories from fat); 49g Protein;
302g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 2680mg Sodium

NOTES : If you like, you can add Italian seasonings - oregano, garlic
powder,basil, thyme, etc.

------

Please note the different amounts for the salt and sugar. It's tremendous!
(I'm not worried about the water difference.) And these two recipes create
very different loaves of bread. I have been assured that the second recipe
was taken straight from the book, and the first recipe I entered myself
from my copy of the book.

The Swedish Rye bread posted in the recent digest says it is from the first
German book, and yes, my book has the recipe with the same ingredients and
in the same order. But, the amounts posted are very different than the
amounts in my copy.

Any ideas on what's going on here? You can see why I'm crazed with
confusion. My curiosity is running rampant!

Thanks for your help!

--
Ellen C.
ellen@brakes.elekta.com